3 Easy Meals for Students Who Burn Pasta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

Alright, so maybe you don’t burn pasta but you might have no idea how to make anything other than eggs, frozen pizza, Mr. Noodles and Eggos. Although carbs are the powerhouse of the cell and whatever, sometimes your body needs something more than MSG, Starbucks, and alcohol to keep it going. Below are three satisfying single serving meals that you can easily make in 30 minutes or less. If you’re feeling extra confident, invite that special someone from your program over for some din dins before your night class.

1. Fancier-than-it-Seems Salmon and Broccoli

This one is a crowd pleaser, even if the crowd is only you.

You will need:

·      1 salmon fillet

·      3 tbsp soy sauce

·      1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely diced

·      1 tsp honey (you can substitute for brown sugar if you vibe that)

·      1 cup broccoli, cut into 1.5 inch wide pieces (fresh or frozen)

·      1 tsp olive oil

·      1/4 cup of dried rice or quinoa

Preparation:

If you have time earlier in the day, it is best if you do the following step a few hours before you cook the salmon. If you barely have time to spare between class and studying (or the Mod Club pre), your salmon will still be 10/10 even if it only marinades for a few minutes.

In a medium sized bowl add the soy sauce, garlic and honey. If dicing garlic seems harder than finding a seat at Stauffer in mid-December, try grating it into the bowl with a cheese grater. Mix this concoction with a fork and pour it into a Ziploc bag that fits your salmon fillet. Add the salmon to your bag, close it, and “smoosh” (we all know what this means) it around so that it is covered with the marinade. Let it do its thing in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it. I don’t recommend marinating it for more than 5 hours.

Once you’re ready to cook begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (this step is optional but your salmon is likely to stick to the sheet if it is not lined!). While your oven is preheating, begin to cook your rice or quinoa according to package instructions.

Once the oven is preheated, take your salmon out of the bag and place it on the lined sheet. Place the sheet on the middle rack of your oven and set a timer for 10 minutes.

While your salmon cooks, begin to make your broccoli. If you don’t like broccoli you can use another vegetable like asparagus or zucchini, but you’ll have to figure out how to cook those things somewhere else because I can only do so much for you. If your broccoli is frozen, prepare it according to the instructions on the bag. If your broccoli is fresh, read carefully.

Take a medium sized pan and place in on the stove over medium heat. Once the pan feels hot when you hover your hand over it add the olive oil and broccoli. Let the broccoli cook in the pan for about 2 minutes, moving the pieces around occasionally. Once they have turned bright green, add a tablespoon of water and cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to low. The broccoli will begin to steam and will be finished in about 6 minutes. The timing will vary- it depends on how soft you like your broccoli and powerful your teeth are. Strong teeth mean shorter cooking time.

At this point your salmon (now at the 10 minute mark) and rice/quinoa should be nearly finished. Salmon can be eaten medium or well done, so check the middle with a fork to see what stage it is and whether it’s done the way you like. Medium salmon is still slightly translucent in the middle, whereas well done salmon is pale and flaky throughout. Medium usually takes 10-12 minutes, and well done is closer to 15.

When all your food is done, plate it like you’re on Master Chef and enjoy! Your brain thanks you for the Omega 3s.

via GIPHY

2. Falafel Salad

For when you want to be healthy after your 20 minute elliptical session at the ARC.

You will need:

·      2 ½ cups chopped romaine lettuce or spring mix

·      Falafel (you can find them premade in the frozen section)

·      5 cherry tomatoes

·      1/3 of a cucumber, diced

·      ¼ of a red onion, thinly sliced

·      1 tbsp. olive oil

·      1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt or sour cream

·      1 tsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar

·      Hot sauce to taste

·      Salt and pepper to taste

Begin by heating your falafel according to package instructions. I like to use 4 falafels and heat them in the oven so they get crispy, but you can microwave them if you’re in a hurry.

Once heated, cut each falafel in half and place them in a bowl filled with the lettuce or salad mix. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion to the bowl.

To make the dressing combine the olive oil, Greek yogurt/sour cream, lemon juice/vinegar, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a medium bowl and whisk with a fork until combined. Your creative mind can go to work on the dressing by adding in things like cilantro or smoked paprika. Exercise the right side of your brain! She has so much to offer! Pour the dressing over the salad, toss, and enjoy! We love a healthy queen.

via GIPHY

3.  Rainbow Pasta Salad

I brought this to a party and people started eating it out of the container with a fork so you could say it’s pretty good. This recipe makes enough for leftovers.

You will need:

·      3 cups bite-sized pasta such as penne, rotini or farfalle

·      1/3 cup diced yellow bell pepper (you can use red or orange but the rainbow factor will be reduced)

·      1/3 cup diced cucumber

·      1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes

·       ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion

·      ¼ julienned carrots (you can buy these pre-cut in a bag or you can julienne them yourself. If julienning isn’t in your future, you can slice baby carrots thinly)

·      4 tbsps. olive oil

·      2 tbsps. lemon juice

·      One clove of garlic, grated or finely diced

·      ½ tsp salt

·      ½ tsp black pepper

·      Optional: 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled

This one is super complicated, are you ready?

Cook your pasta according to package instructions and drain. Add everything listed above into one bowl and mix. Leave in fridge to cool and then enjoy!

via GIPHY

Well there you have it folks. These recipes are easy, delicious and ready to do the MOST for your health. It’s time to let your inner Gordon Ramsay shine.

via GIPHY

Grace MacLeod

Queen's U '20

I'm a fourth year Political Studies major at Queen's University who loves writing, cooking, travelling and sarcasm.