10 Questions I Would Like Answers to (Queen’s Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Queen's U chapter.

1. What will happen if I go to the Yellow Deli?

I can’t help but let my eyes linger on the Yellow Deli every time I’m on my way to the LCBO. It looks like the cottage from The Holiday and I have a gut feeling that they serve a mean sandwich. Anyone want to go with me? Let’s vlog it.

Jokes aside, I’m genuinely curious about their history and practices. I’ve got some major Googling to do.

2. Am I evil if I complain about paper straws?  

After picking up my iced americano from Cogro today I turned to my friend and remarked that “paper straws are the WOAT,” to which she replied, “Yeah, I hate sea turtles too.” Okay, point taken.

Obviously I don’t want sea turtles to die, but is there no alternative to paper straws? They put me in a position where, as JT and Madonna would say, I only got four minutes to drink my drink.

3. Why does Timmies iced coffee taste like nail polish remover?

I’ll get it half sweet. Or with chocolate milk. Cream? Whatever will get rid of that acetone aftertaste.

4. Why is everyone obsessed with going upstairs at Ale?

Call me crazy, but I’m not really into the possibility of breaking ribs while waiting by the staircase.

5. What’s the deal with Pounair?

Three things: it’s wet, expensive and has an uncomfortable name. I’ll be in the corner with my nuggets.

6. How can I meet Daniel Woolf?

Each of his start-of-the-term messages makes me cry. I just want to speak with him for maybe three minutes. Is that too much to ask for?

7. Is Kingston tap water safe to drink?

I’ve had no issue with drinking tap water for the past 20 years. I’m lucky to have access to such clean drinking water and there’s no need to buy an expensive Brita, right?

I’m not so sure anymore. Last week, my friend’s housemates nearly vomited when they saw me fill my glass with tap water and drink it without hesitation. They showed me their Brita pitcher’s filter, which was filled with black particles. They implored me to never drink Kingston’s tap water again.

Despite the black particles, I have trouble believing that the water quality here is dangerously bad. What’s the deal?

8. What’s a TAM?

I’m starting to show my age. What was wrong with meal equivalencies? Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

9. How much noise am I allowed to make on the fourth floor of Stauffer?

I always feel like I’m going to get heckled for unzipping my backpack. I didn’t come to hurt anyone; I’m just trying to get my laptop out. Please don’t kill me; I have a family!

10.  Where has Carly (Free Hugs) been this year?

I miss seeing her around the ARC and Stauff. She is decidedly the best hug-giver in the world (sorry Mom). Carly, I miss you! Where have you gone?!

Grace MacLeod

Queen's U '20

I'm a fourth year Political Studies major at Queen's University who loves writing, cooking, travelling and sarcasm.