Spring break’s over, and you don’t have to get “back on track”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

Spring break’s over. Maybe you went to relax by the beach in Florida or Mexico, or maybe you enjoyed lounging at home with no responsibilities. Coming back to school after some days of completely ignoring any work is truly challenging, especially with all the assignments we chose to forget about during break. Social media is also becoming increasingly triggering, with several videos on my TikTok feed reminding me that summer’s just around the corner and that I should begin preparing my body immediately. With all of these external pressures after a week of much needed relaxation, it’s no wonder that we feel so overwhelmed after spring break ends.

During these hard times, it’s essential to remind ourselves that we are enough just as we are, and we don’t need to change ourselves for the summer, for a party or for anyone. You don’t need to cut your calories, or begin a rigorous training regime just because summer is coming soon. If your eating and exercise schedule was a bit messy over break, you don’t have to get “back on track”. Yes, nourish your body with nutritious foods and incorporate exercise in your daily routine, but do so out of a place of love. Do it to feel your best, not to look a certain way. You should never feel obliged to change who you are just because a stranger on the internet is doing so.

Academics-wise…things are getting rough. Assignments, quizzes and exams are piling on top of each other, giving us almost no room to breathe. My advice? Take a deep breath and tackle things one by one. Write down everything you have to do in your planner or calendar, and calmly get things done. Don’t forget to take breaks: eat delicious foods, do activities you enjoy and see your friends. By taking things one step at a time and showing ourselves love and compassion, we can tackle the rest of the semester with self-love, success and happiness.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.