Wellness

More than Calories: Finding Memories and Happiness in Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

What does pasta mean to you?

To some it signifies a bowl full of carbohydrates, sizzling fat, and calories. To others, it is simply a meal, something to end hunger fast and move on with their day. To me, however, it means so much more. A warm bowl of spaghetti drowned in rich tomato sauce, adorned with olive oil and freshly grated parmesan on top represents my culture, my family and my traditions. Watching my Italian nonna make pizza and pasta from scratch while growing up is one of my fondest memories, and her cooking brings me closer to her. Enjoying her homemade pizza fresh from the oven, sinking my teeth into the soft dough and pulling an endless cheese string is more than just eating: it is a ritual.

As we grow up, we often lose sight of the joy and connection that food brings. We start reading diet magazines that encourage us to skip meals or to over exercise. Toxic diet culture incites us to choose bland salads and grilled chicken over our favorite meals, even leading us to wonder whether a banana has too much sugar (it doesn’t, by the way. Eat your bananas in peace). Food becomes a preoccupation instead of a pleasure in our everyday life, and we lose sight of its power to unite, create memories and ignite pure happiness.

It is important to remember that as much as food is fuel, it is also joy, celebration and union. It is shared slices of pizza with friends at 3 am and late-night ice cream drives.

It is a mouthful of popcorn at the movie theater and refreshing smoothie bowls at the beach. It is juicy steaks on dates with the love of your life and Oreos your five-year-old wants to eat with you. Sharing food is sharing memories and connection with your loved ones, creating traditions and moments you will cherish for years to come.

When I come home to my nonna’s cooking this winter break, I know I will not be thinking about calories or carbohydrates, but rather of the nourishing love she poured into her meals. A warm bowl of pasta will be waiting for me, ready to comfort and delight my soul.

Alessandra is the vice-president of Her Campus at the Purdue chapter. She monitors article progress, ensuring they are uploaded on time and helps solve any problems that may arise. She is currently a senior at Purdue, majoring in Business Management, minoring in English Literature and concentrating in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. Alessandra has worked for Victoria's Secret PINK as a campus ambassador, helping with the marketing and communications of the brand. She is passionate about entertainment and wants to work in the industry after she graduates. In her free time, Alessandra loves doing any kind of sport or physical activity. If she's not surfing, swimming or dancing, you can find her eating pasta, reading, making very specific music playlists, watching movies and traveling everywhere she can.