5 Tips to Help You Stay Afloat This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

As a college senior currently navigating through the deadly waters of my mostly online senior year and future uncertainty from behind a computer screen, COVID-19 has given a whole new meaning to ‘senioritis’. In the midst of adjusting to a new state of not-so-normal normalcy, it is fairly easy lose track of time (I can not be the only one in complete denial about it being October next week) and forget you’re actually taking classes – online classes like to give you the illusion of non-urgency and then creep up on you in waves of absolute turmoil. Here are some tips and reminders to help you hold onto your sanity this semester!

Stick to a routine

One reason (among many!) that makes this a tremendously chaotic time for college students is us having been stripped of our daily routine, whether that means waking up at a reasonable hour (as opposed to instinctively rolling out of bed five minutes before a Zoom call and feeling victorious) or grabbing a Starbucks to get yourself through a 10 a.m. class (coupled with the eventual embarrassment of showing up late shamelessly with a venti Pumpkin Spice Latte in your hand) or going on evening walks around campus with your friends at sunset. The smallest, most mindless, aspects of our day that’d once been bound to our campus life are now altered or completely eliminated from our day-to-day routines.

Having some semblance of a routine can help bring back some of the structure we were so used to that we’d never anticipated a time without it. One of the perks we have right now is having (limited) control over our days: we decide when to tune into asynchronous class meetings, when to step away from the computer for the day, when to finally confront the readings piling up on our desks all the way from week 3, and so on. Something that really helped me get back into the college-student-zone this fall is curating a simple routine for myself, beginning with a triple-berry breakfast smoothie that jumpstarts my day. Another tactic you could adopt to “trick” yourself into feeling productive is wearing class-appropriate/work clothes upon waking up; an alternative approach to this tip would be: as fulfilling as it is to secretly wear polka-dotted wine-stained pajamas under a button-down top during a Zoom meeting, it might be a bit too comfortable.

Remember, a routine does not equate to overworking yourself and being in a perpetual state of stress; it just means adding more structure to an otherwise highly chaotic time. Incorporating even the simplest things, such as a small workout session or a healthy snack or a walk around campus with earphones on, into your routine can go a long way.

As someone who used to buy planners solely to admire the hardcover (mine says You Got This in a floral font, so it basically doubles as a source of motivation), I’ve now begun to actually take time to write into it and oh, what a joy it is to see the little boxes fill up with color-coded deadlines! Not to mention, ticking something off your list is basically the equivalent of physically taking the load off of your back.

Set time aside from online classes

As I mentioned above, making a routine for yourself doesn’t mean filling it up with an overwhelming number of tasks then being disappointed if you’re unable to tick off every single thing in your to-do list (it’s completely okay to let non-urgent responsibilities carry over to the next day, and even the day after!).

Remember, now more than ever, to give yourself room to breathe and consciously step away from the computer screen that our entire livelihood now seems to depend on. Make sure to take breaks both between classes as well as reward yourself with a longer, more meaningful break after!

Oftentimes, if you’re anything like me, we tend to take a break from staring at a screen all day for work to staring at another considerably bigger screen of the TV or a smaller, phone screen. Which, if you think about it, isn’t a break at all, especially if you haven’t at least switched up the environment by going to a different room. Remind yourself to consciously take time away from workspace and your various screens. Rest your eyes as well as your mind to unwind from your hectic schedule and prepare for the next day. Switch up your breaks from time to time as well, incorporating different activities based on your mood, to keep yourself engaged and to make yourself look forward to the end of the workday.

Stay in (virtual) touch with those that bring you joy

If you’re a homebody-slash-introvert like me, the pandemic has given you even more of an excuse to self-isolate and fall off the face of earth until you absolutely have to get back to it. This might contradict with the above pointer but recognize the difference between detoxing from your social media/messaging platforms and outright adopting a hermit lifestyle.

As someone who never quite identified as a phone-call (or God forbid, FaceTime) person, it’s incredibly difficult for me to willingly pick up the phone to call someone, even if I am dying to talk to the person on the other line and catch up for hours on end. What I’ve attempted to do during the summer is schedule weekly or at least bi-monthly calls with my friends back home days before the actual call to force myself to keep my word later (note: I actually have to formally schedule calls like work meetings because of timezone annoyances).

Another fun virtual hangout idea is binge-watching your favorite show with your best friend on NetflixParty or organizing virtual boardgame nights with your friend group to absolutely destroy them with your impressive skills (or conversely, make a fool out of yourself, which is fine because it’ll make for a great laughing opportunity).

Remember to check in on your friends from time to time and stay in touch as often as possible, to both maintain your sanity and theirs. Especially in a time when we’re devoid of human interaction, it’s important to go out of your way to engage in conversation, even if it’s small talk about how surreal this all feels.

Check in with yourself often

On the note of checking in with your friends, make sure to extend that same energy toward yourself. As I glossed over earlier, it is very easy now to lose all touch with reality, owing to our physical disconnectedness and overall exhaustion, and simply glide through your circumstances rather than addressing them. As important as it is to stay physically healthy right now, it is of equal importance to monitor your mental health.

If you’re feeling drained and overwhelmed, remember that these are uncertain, unusual times (now that I’ve written it, I realize this is not comforting to hear at all) and it’s completely okay to feel anxious and lost. Seek help if and when you need it and don’t be afraid to reach out to someone.

Reward yourself for any and all milestones

Remember, milestones don’t only constitute big, highly awaited, once-in-a-lifetime achievements (which definitely need a celebration of their own!) but also that research paper you’re dreading and the group presentation you’re not looking forward to. Once you inevitably confront these dreadful milestones as your semester quickens its pace each week, treat yourself! Tread carefully if you do choose to follow this tip, because my reward for myself last month was this Folklore cardigan which my bank account wasn’t too thrilled about.

Reward yourself for getting through an eventful week, or even a rough, semi-productive day. Every single day won’t be the most productive, and that’s completely okay. You’re doing your absolute best and making the best out of this time of heightened anxiety and uncertainty!

An English major along with a Professional Writing and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor, Anushka is a senior at Purdue University. She aspires to write thriller novels and work in publishing upon graduation.