Life > Academics

How to Protect Your Mental Health During Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Purdue chapter.

We have all gotten to the point where we prioritize studying and our grades over our mental health. I speak from experience. However, it is more important to take care of our body rather than risk your mental health for a good grade on that singular exam. I am here to provide some easy tips and tricks to keep your mind healthy while you head into midterm season.

1. After every thirty minutes of studying, take a 15-minute break and do something that has nothing to do with academics.

After thirty minutes of studying, I like to watch fifteen minutes of a tv show that I have been obsessing over or to read some pages of the novel that I am currently reading. I also like to scroll through Tik Tok or catch up on social media, even though that is not the best method for your mental health. My point is, take a break from studying to refresh your mind and after your break you can get back to the grind.

• Before bed, do a face mask.

What better way to wind down after a long day of studying than relaxing with a face mask. I personally love sheet masks with citrus-y scents. While wearing my face mask, I will watch a movie or catch up on a tv show. Again, it is better if you aren’t studying while doing this so you can get the whole relaxing effect.

• Eat three meals a day and do not study during these meals.

Eating is necessary for the brain and the body. To keep up mentally, you have to keep up physically. To keep up physically, make sure you are eating a healthy amount each day and include some brain food in the mix.

• Schedule time to talk with friends and family.

This may seem silly but keeping in touch with loved ones is a great way to maintain your mental health. Talk with those around you and catch up with friends. It is good to remember that you have a network of people that you can reach out to at any time.

• If you are struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Most campuses have resources for students who are struggling. Reach out to the campus hotline or even a nationwide hotline if you need help. People are there for you and want to see you succeed and be healthy.

I hope these tips help you tackle the upcoming midterm season and maintain a healthy state of mind!

Carissa Ray is the senior editor at the Her Campus Purdue Chapter. She edits all articles under all topics for the chapter and helps with events throughout the semester. She also writes articles for the chapter and typically writes entertainment pieces. She has been a member of the chapter since January of 2023! Carissa is currently a junior studying at Purdue University. She is majoring in Psychological Sciences with minors in Spanish and Forensic Sciences. Aside from Her Campus, Carissa is also on the board of the Purdue Chapter of Omicron Delta Kappa, a leadership honors society. She is the Service and Events Chair as well as the stand-in Alumni and Awards chair. For the honors society, she is in charge of creating the monthly Alumni newsletters and editing them. She is also a mentor for the College of Health and Human Sciences. In the future, she hopes to become a Forensic Psychologist and potentially work for the FBI. When she is not busy with school, Carissa is a huge book nerd and loves to read anything with mystery, romance, or fantasy. She also loves dancing and is part of the Purdue Higher Ground Dance Company. She enjoys jazz, hip hop, and theater dance styles. Finally, if she has any extra time, she is a TV buff and enjoys binging TV shows like Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, or Supernatural.