Wellness > Health

The Surprising Health Benefits Behind 10 Favorite Thanksgiving Dishes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As November progresses, Thanksgiving draws closer. A time for family, friends and, of course, food.

However, for many, the holidays can be an unfortunately daunting time of year. With the spread of diet culture and unrealistic beauty standards, many are left with food fears. This may result in a person eating less than they want, avoiding certain foods, tracking calories and otherwise missing out on the fun that Thanksgiving is supposed to provide.

However, focusing on calories and fat content can distract us from other health benefits of food. Few people track how many minerals, vitamins and antioxidants they consume. Even fewer track the happiness that eating the food makes them feel, or the memories created from sharing Thanksgiving dinner with their families.

In order to allay these fears, I have compiled a list of several Thanksgiving favorites and their surprising health benefits. Nobody should have to feel guilty for indulging on a special occasion, especially after reading about the wonders that Thanksgiving dinner can work for your health!

TURKEY: Lean protein

Turkey is packed with protein. Per 100g, turkey provides 28g of protein. Other popular meats like pork and beef only provide 19g each. Despite providing a relatively identical amount of protein to its close relative, the chicken, turkey is lower in calories and saturated fats. This makes it an ideal, healthy source of protein.

Protein is essential to the human diet. The macronutrient is used in the growth and repair of muscles, skin, bones, cartilage and more. The body cannot store protein, so it is vital that we consume it every day.

Turkey is also high in selenium, an essential component of thyroid hormone metabolism that promotes a healthy thyroid.

Green Beans: Full of fiber

This traditional side dish is packed with dietary fiber. Just one cup of green beans can provide an adult with 13% of their daily fiber requirement.

Fiber is essential for optimizing digestive health and maintaining bowel health, perfect after consuming a hearty thanksgiving dinner. This miracle molecule also helps to lower cholesterol and blood sugar, preventing diabetes and cardiovascular issues.

Pumpkin Pie: VITAMIN A

The main ingredient in this pie is a popular gourd packed with a variety of vitamins. Just one cup of cooked pumpkin contains 245% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) of Vitamin A. This is because it is packed with beta-carotene, a carotenoid that your body transforms into Vitamin A.

Vitamin A has a plethora of health benefits. It can help protect your eyesight as you age, as Vitamin A deficiency is proven to be a common cause of blindness. The micronutrient is also essential to cell division, growth, reproduction and immunity. Vitamin A also has antioxidant properties, protecting cells against the effects of disease-causing free radicals.

Corn: Manganese

It’s a maize-ing. Manganese is a mineral often present in legumes, green vegetables and grains. With 127mg of this mineral per 100g, corn is very rich in manganese.

This mineral benefits our health in several ways. These include bone health, diabetes control, boosting metabolism, reducing inflammation and preventing conditions like poor bone growth, low fertility and metabolic abnormalities.

cranberry sauce: ORAl health

We all know that cranberries are packed with antioxidants and help to prevent urinary tract infections, but few know about what they can do for our mouths. Researchers claim that proanthocyanidins present in cranberries can help prevent tooth decay and gum disease, as they stop bacteria from binding to our teeth. All the more reason to flash your cheesiest smile in the family photographs!

Mashed potatoes: Immunity

Aside from the bone strength provided in calcium from secondary ingredients like milk, mashed potatoes can improve the immune system. Potatoes are packed with antioxidants, compounds that fight against free radicals that damage to our cells. For an added immunity boost, utilize the skins where antioxidants are most heavily concentrated in the starchy tuber (almost twelve times more than the flesh).

sweet potato: Anti-cancer

Sweet potatoes have been found to contain many cancer-fighting properties. Purple sweet potatoes are incredibly high in anthocyanins, a group of antioxidants found to slow the growth of many types of cancer cells. Furthermore, antioxidants found in the peels of orange sweet potatoes have also been found to have anti-cancer properties.

apple pie: Healthy heart

Numerous studies have shown that apples can be beneficial to our cardiovascular health. Scientists have concluded this from more than one property of apples.

Firstly, apples are packed with soluble fiber, which is vital to lowering blood cholesterol levels.

Another hypothesis is the fact that apples contain many polyphenols, which have antioxidant effects concentrated in the peel. These polyphenols include flavonoid epicatechin, which may lower blood pressure and prevent heart disease.

asparagus: Brain Fuel

Eating asparagus can support a healthy brain by fighting cognitive decline.

This vegetable is packed with folate, a B-vitamin that prevents cognitive impairment.

A recent study from Tufts University showed that older adults with a healthy and sufficient folate level performed better on tests regarding response speed and mental flexibility than their deficient counterparts.

Rosemary: Mental Support

Not only can this herb live for up to two years, but rosemary also packs a whole host of mental health benefits. The aroma of rosemary has been proven to enhance memory and concentration and improve mood. Furthermore, an abundance of carnosic acid helps to prevent brain damage and strokes.

Em is a British-American student studying Public Relations at Penn State University Park. She is a football fan, of both Manchester City and Buffalo Bills.