The Best Moments From Jacob Elordi’s ‘SNL’ Debut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Jacob Elordi took the Saturday Night Live stage as a first-time host on Saturday, Jan. 20.

The “Saltburn” star was paired with music guest Reneé Rapp, and the two of them truly made a comedic splash. SNL pulled out all the stops this past weekend and viewers were in for multiple surprises.

jacob elordi’s monologue

Elordi took a different approach to the traditional host monologue and opted to answer questions from the “audience.” But, this wasn’t even the funniest part.

The actor then continued strong by poking fun at his most recent movie, “Saltburn.”

The film was released in 2023 and seems to be the only thing people are still talking about from last year. It’s good to see Elordi has picked up on the movies shocking debate and has given his condolences to those who had to endure the movie with their family (yikes).

In the later parts of his monologue, the SNL cast and Elordi himself mocked some comments he’s made in interviews about some of his past roles, such as “The Kissing Booth” and “Priscilla.”

One member of the cast brought up how they were “disgusted” with his role. While most people thought the member of the cast was talking about “Saltburn,” they were actually mocking “The Kissing Booth.”

Overall, the jokes landed very well and there were laughs all around.

SNL Instagram Post of Elordi
rachel mcadams’s guest appearance

Pretty sure the internet collectively freaked out on this one.

Fans were elated to see Rachel McAdams in a skit with Elordi and to introduce the musical guest in the final performance of the night.

If you didn’t already know, McAdams played the original Regina George in the 2004 “Mean Girls” movie.

The well-loved teen movie was recently repurposed into a movie musical, which was released Jan. 12 with Reneé Rapp replaying the iconic queen bee (hence the collective freakout).

McAdams introduced Rapp’s performance of “Not My Fault,” which is featured on the new “Mean Girls” soundtrack. It was very much a full moment for a lot of “Mean Girls” fans.

McAdams has been brought up several times during recent “Mean Girls” promotional interviews with the new cast publicly declaring their love for McAdams, so it was awesome to see her make an appearance for her younger generation of fans.

SNL had the opportunity to create the best cameo ever and fans are happy to see they picked up on it.

SNL Instagram Post of McAdams
Jacob elordi & Reneé rapp’s skit

Somebody get Reneé Rapp to host SNL, ASAP.

The singer/songwriter participated in a skit with Elordi and Bowen Yang, and they did it effortlessly.

The skit poked fun at the professional lip readers that have recently been popping up all over TikTok.

With all of the celebrity award shows that have happened thus far, drama has sprung up everywhere (think the Selena Gomez-Kylie Jenner drama at the Golden Globes). Professional lip readers have taken to social media to make out conversations captured on TV that audiences obviously can’t hear.

The funniest part is that every lip reader is making out different conversations.

Although Rapp’s feature is short, she makes sure not to leave without poking fun at her recent chaotic interviews. The actress has been everywhere lately, from Late Night interviews to press tours, so some hilarious comments have inevitably been made along the way.

Although most of the internet has appreciated the laughs Rapp has provided, there are some dads, Brads and Chads that have criticized her “severe lack of media training.”

Rapp hilariously brought up the comment in the skit, and mentioned that she “has to go through 40 hours of court-ordered media training.”

SNL Instagram Post of Elordi and Rapp
Megan thee stallion suprise performance

I couldn’t think of a better way to close out the first SNL show of the new year.

After Rachel McAdams introduced Rapp’s final musical performance of the night, fans were surprised to see Megan Thee Stallion make her exit out of a giant cake to sing her part on the duet, “Not My Fault.”

This sparkling duo brought the energy to 30 Rock with their fetch performance, and it was all kinds of Mean Girls coded.

This flashy, upbeat performance has to be one of my favorite SNL performances ever.

Megan Thee Stallion Instagram Post

Overall, Jacob Elordi’s first gig as SNL host was one to remember.

It was the best opportunity to bring together some of the most talked about celebs in entertainment at the moment, and I cannot wait to see what SNL has in store for the rest of 2024!

Allie is a PSU student studying Public Relations & minoring in Recreation, Parks & Tourism Management. In her free time she enjoys listening to music, traveling, reading, and painting!