stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How Changing Your Outlook Can Change Your College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

College is a challenge, but it gets easier. 

There are many obstacles that you have to face and eventually overcome as a student, sigh. But don’t worry, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. From freshman to senior year, new bumps in the road pop up. These bumps will range from figuring out your major to going through major heartbreaks. It’s your choice to decide how you let these obstacles affect you.

Perspective

The first step to maintaining a healthy mindset and ensure that you don’t go absolutely insane is to make perspective your best friend. Perspective is so important because with it, you can make everyday a good day. Deciding to look at a bad situation differently and learning from it, makes life a lot less stressful. Having a positive outlook can be a challenge in itself, so take it day by day. Once you’ve laid the first stepping stone, good things will follow.

Reminder: Time heals everything

When you’re going through it, it is so important to always ask yourself this question: Will this matter in a year? The answer is almost always no. Now I know that time tends to fly when you’re having fun, but it also drags when you’re not. So ride it out and take care of yourself the best way that you know how. 

Treat yo’ self  

You’re a hard worker! Take time to de-stress and treat yourself by doing the things you love. Get your friends together, read that book you’ve been putting off, or clear your mind at the gym. The possibilities are truly endless.

Surround yourself with positive people 

This one’s important. The people you surround yourself with define you, and your happiness. If you hang around people who lift you up and make you happy, then you will be happy. Being surrounded by good energy is a must. But don’t depend on other people to make you happy, be the light of the room. 

For most of us, college is four short years of our lives, so make them great. Take advantage of your youth and have fun. Life is short, be positive!

Carli is a junior at Penn State University studying journalism.
Allie Bausinger is a Penn State University graduate who majored in Print/Digital Journalism with a minor in English. She is from "outside Philadelphia," which in her case is Yardley, Pennsylvania. Allie is looking for full-time employment in writing, editing, fact-checking, podcasting, and other areas of the journalism and writing fields.