Best Things To Do After a Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Breakups are rough, especially if it’s the first one you’ve ever gone through. It can be intimidating to lose a partner for the first time. What do you do when you feel the need to talk to them? Who do you turn to when you want to talk about the breakup? How do you move on? Here are some tips that may help you get through one of the more difficult times in one’s life. 

1. Cry if you need to

Grieving is a natural part of the process when you’re getting over a partner. That person was important to you, and it’s hard when a big support system suddenly disappears from your life. Don’t be ashamed to cry — it may even make you feel a lot better.

2. Talk about the breakup

Whether it’s to a parent, sibling, friend or dog — talk about your feelings. Holding them in is never the way to go. Don’t worry about being annoying or talking too much; if you’re surrounding yourself with good people, they’ll want to be there for you as much as they can.

3. Watch your favorite movie

Or TV show or YouTube video – it doesn’t matter. Vegging out in front of a screen has the ability to take your mind off whatever may be bothering you. Watch something funny if you haven’t laughed in a while. Watch something sad if you need something to relate to. Do what you have to do to feel better.

4. Eat

French fries, pizza, ice cream – even healthy food, if that’s the way you roll. Take time to comfort and take care of yourself. If you’re craving something, don’t feel bad for eating it – treat yourself!

5. Go to the gym

Sometimes, that extra adrenaline rush you get from exercising is just the thing you need to get yourself out of that slump. Go for a walk outside, run on a treadmill, do some squats – you won’t regret getting out of bed and being active for an hour or so.

Whatever it is you do, just know that you’ll get through this breakup. Time eventually heals all wounds.

Katie Johnston is a sophomore at Penn State University and is a writer for Her Campus at Penn State. She is double majoring in print and digital journalism and French. When she's not writing, she can be found eating her famous mac and cheese or watching sitcoms like Friends, New Girl and How I Met Your Mother. You can find her on Twitter or Instagram at @ktjohnston23.
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.