This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

There is nothing more peaceful than looking up a recipe and beginning to bake. I’ve learned in the past year that baking is one of the few times where I get to be in my own head space and block out the world. 

Following a simple recipe immediately helps me forget about anything that has been causing me to be in a constant state of stress or anxiety. With this in mind, I recently came to the realization that several of my favorite treats to bake are associated with my mood of the day. 

Carrot Cake
Julia Hedelman / Spoon

Cake is a representation of lightness and fun, which is why I only tend to bake a cake when I’m feeling happy. Additionally, baking a cake is symbolic of celebration and joy. It is a big part of birthdays, after all. Another reason why I only bake cake in a cheerful mood is because decorating the exterior is the most enjoyable part of making a homemade cake. I could never fake a smile while icing a cake and loading it with sprinkles. 

Cucumber Slice
Alex Frank / Spoon

Zucchini bread is a baked dish that I only make when I am anxious. The simple recipe for zucchini bread makes it a perfect and easy distraction during a stressful period. The batter is fairly simple and quick to make, which means that it won’t consume too much of my time. 

Moreover, I like to bake zucchini bread in order to clear my head; and while it’s in the oven for 45 minutes, I work on whatever is making me anxious until the buzzer beeps. This also creates a reward system for me because I get to eat the zucchini bread once my work is done.

Unsplash

Cookies are my favorite thing to bake, but I can only bake them when I am content. There is a big difference between baking while you’re happy, and baking when you’re simply content. If I’m happy, I like to make something grand that I can put a lot of effort into; however, when I am content, I prefer to bake something more simplistic. 

Furthermore, cookies take a lot more time to prepare and bake than cake or bread. This is why I also need to have a television show or a movie to watch if I am going to bake cookies. For this reason, I tend to only bake cookies around November and December because of the holiday spirit and the time off from school.  

It probably sounds insane that this is what goes through my head before I decide what to bake, but I really do think that it makes baking more satisfying when it matches my mental state. 

For instance, I had a dreadful time baking whenever my parents wanted a sweet treat in the summer because in that case, it felt more like a chore than something I’m doing for my mental health. However, now that I’m at school, I have more control over when I bake and what I bake. Luckily, I haven’t had to make zucchini bread in a while; in fact, I actually baked a cake the other day.

Junior, Film major and Women's Studies minor
Arden Ericson will graduate Penn State in May of 2023. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at PSU, she is a double-major in Public Relations and French Language. After graduation, she will pursue a career that combines her passion for educational equity, social justice and French.