harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways To Practice Positivity in 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Did 2018 make you salty? Between all the break-ups, natural disasters and crazy news 2018 had, it’s easy to understand why. But let’s leave those bad vibes in 2018 and start off 2019 with good ones. Thinking negatively makes you sad, pessimistic and is probably bad for your health. Here are a few ways to add positive habits into your life this new year.

Empathy

Someone not hold the door open for you? Did a bike almost run you over while you were on your way to class? Instead of thinking about what someone didn’t do, practice empathy and think about the situation from their perspective. Maybe they were late to an exam? Or they have a date? Their roommate might be locked out of their apartment? Anyways, practicing empathy fights rudeness with kindness instead fire with fire.

Affirmations

It’s important to be positive towards yourself too! Self love and positivity are great for creating a positive outlook on life. Start your morning reciting a simple sentence or phrase that encourages or inspires you. Make it a habit and do it everyday. If you don’t know where to start with affirmations, go on Pinterest or Google- there are lots of examples.

Breathing

Like our queen Ariana Grande said, just keep breathing. Taking one to five minutes for breathing can greatly improve your mood. Breathing makes you focus on the present moment, which is helpful if you are stressing out about something in the future. There are lots of gifs that help you slow down your breathing; a simple search and you’ll probably find one. If you want to do something more in-depth, search for a meditation on YouTube. I like to do one before I go to bed or when I have an exam coming up.

Gratitude Journal

This is a recent discovery while scrolling through Pinterest. It’s super simple, just write down one thing you’re grateful in a journal. You can have something completely dedicated to what you’re grateful for or you can write it down in your school planner.

Say Thank You

Nothing makes my day like when someone says thank you to me. Say thank you when you feel happy. Saying thank you shouldn’t be just for when someone holds the door open for you, say it more than that. For example, any time I am with my friends, I tell them thank you because they chose to spend that time with me, even when they might be busy with school or work. Recognizing and then saying thank you makes your brain think of gratitude and happiness, which ultimately puts you in a positive mindset.

Hannah Nelson is a senior at Penn State University, double majoring in Print/Digital Journalism and History. She enjoys Marvel movies, anything Harry Potter, books, quoting Vines and watching Tik Toks. In her free time, she is probably watching Try Guys videos on YouTube. She is passionate about mental health, women's rights and the Black Lives Matter movement.