samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

15 Songs to Listen to When You Don’t Want to Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

It’s that time of the semester when midterms are piling up, but we all just want to go on vacation because the weather’s finally getting warm again. We know we should be studying, but if you’re a procrastinator like me, here are some distracting songs to listen to when you want to pretend like you’re studying, but really you’re just searching up songs to queue on Spotify:

1. “Work” by Rihanna

In case you still want some of that motivation – or a reason to look up the real lyrics of the song and proceed to spend the next hour trying to memorize them.

2. “New Rules” by Dua Lipa

Just jam out and know that you shouldn’t pick up the phone.

3. “Burnin’ Up” by The Jonas Brothers

Here’s a little throwback jam to get you staring into space remembering the good old days.

4. “Shake It” by Metro Station

A little more nostalgia, anyone?

5. “Shake It Off” by Taylor Swift

I know the world has a lot of mixed feelings about Taylor Swift, but hey, the old Taylor was still pretty catchy.

6. “Trust Nobody (ft. Selena Gomez and Tory Lanez)” by Cashmere Cat

It’s pretty catchy and fun to sing along to, if you want to do that wherever you are!

7. “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

Get your cubicle neighbor to sing along with you and make it a duet.

8. “Best Song Ever” by One Direction

It’s pretty fun to dance to and sing along to at the top of your lungs.

9. “Pillow Talk” by ZAYN

We were all so shook when this song came out. Bringing this back to remind you of the beginning of the end of One Direction; you can think about that for a second.

10. “Glorious (ft. Skylar Grey”) by Macklemore

If you can’t study, you might as well vigorously sing the chorus because we still don’t quite know the words to Macklemore’s parts yet.

11. “Ocean Avenue” by Yellowcard

I’m kind of ready to leave this town and have some vacation time, too.

12. “There’s Nothing Holdin’ Me Back” by Shawn Mendes

Have as much fun as Shawn Mendes does singing and dancing to a Shawn Mendes song.

13. “Love Drunk” by Boys Like Girls

Let’s all remember when Boys Like Girls was a huge thing, and we all got excited seeing Ashley Tisdale in this music video.

14. “Pillow Talking (ft. Brain)” by Lil Dicky

Not a song for dancing or singing, just a song solely for the purpose of listening and wondering about things. Buckle up girls; this is kind of a long one.

15. “Every Time We Touch” by Cascada

It’s a classic; why wouldn’t it be on every music list?

Happy procrastinating (or not), everyone!

GIFs via Giphy

Aisha is currently a senior at Penn State University, studying Telecommunications in the Donald P. Bellisario College of Communications. She is a contributing writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State and her hobbies are reading, listening to music, and watching hockey. Originally hailing from Jakarta, Indonesia, her dream for the future is to someday be part of the book publishing industry, digital marketing or work on a media team for a sports team. 
Allie Maniglia served as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Penn State from 2017-2018. She majored in public relations with minors in international studies and communication arts and sciences. If she's not busy writing away, you can find her planning her next adventure (probably back to the U.K.), feeding an unhealthy addiction to HGTV or watching dog videos on YouTube.