This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Berks chapter.

My secret weapon for when I’ve gained a little weight or am bloated is: swimming!  Swimming is a wonderful exercise because it works every muscle in your body, and can target multiple problem areas at once.  It’s low impact so it’s easier on your joints and heart than running, but you can still burn plenty of calories in an hour workout.  I think a lot of people are hesitant to do lap swimming as a workout, but you shouldn’t be.  I know I’ll never be a very fast nor the most graceful swimmer; my limbs are too short for that.  I enjoy swimming because it’s peaceful to be in the water and there’s hardly any distractions in the pool compared to other places. Trust me, nobody’s going to judge you on your speed or your stroke once you’re in the pool.  They’ll be too focused on their own workout.

Places where you can recreationally swim in our area year-round without breaking the bank:

• Body Zone
  • LA Fitness
  • Birdsboro Fitness and Splash
  • Albright College (only $5/day)
  • Kutztown University

Tips for beginner female swimmers:

• Wear a one-piece suit that fits close to your body so you won’t have to deal with fabric flapping while you swim, you’ll be able to glide in the water.  You don’t need to spend more than $25 for a suit that will fit ideally and last.
  • Wet your suit with cold water before going in chlorinated water so the color on your suit will be less likely to fade.
  • Put your hair back in a ponytail/bun, and wear a lycra swim cap. The lycra swim cap won’t keep your hair dry, but it’ll keep hair out of your face and from dragging you back in the water.  Plus, the lycra won’t snag at your hair as a silicone cap would. You can buy a quality TYR Lycra Swim Cap on Amazon for under $10.
  • Wear goggles that are clear and easy to adjust. Speedo Hydrospex are a great pair.
Megan Antosy is a junior at Penn State Berks double majoring in Business with an option in Marketing and Management, and Professional writing. She also has minors in Entrepreneurship and Women's Studies. When she isn't busy writing or editing articles for HC, you can find her on the beach, reading a book, taking a nap, or drinking tea. She is also Co-CC.