neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why Meditate? Tips and Benefits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

You’ve probably heard it a million times, “Meditating is good for you” or “Meditation changed my life”. Chances are you know someone who says this frequently -I’ve become the meditation spokesperson of my friend group. You’re welcome guys- and there’s a reason why they love it. And you know why? Because not only does it sound cool and healthy, but everyone has figured out how to meditate. How to benefit from it, how to master breathing exercises and how to stop falling asleep while meditating.

So, let’s start with the basics, what exactly is meditating? Meditation is mind without agitation. It’s not only about clearing your head, but rather being able to focus on one thing. But this is also a very general definition, since you can make meditation fit your lifestyle and your needs, but more onto that later.

The first time I tried meditating, about 3-4 years ago, it did not go so well. And the next couple of times after that were more of crash-and-burn types of experiences… The farthest I got was being able to sit still for about 7 minutes, which seemed like a huge step from falling asleep, à la Eat, Pray, Love. If I’m being honest, I didn’t know what exactly I wanted from it, which is completely normal. Because meditating is not something that you’re born being “good” or “bad” at, most people at first are completely clueless! Meditating is something that you practice, it’s something that you work on. Nowadays, we’re lucky because we have the internet and phones, so meditating has become more accessible. If meditating has been something you’ve always wanted to try and want to know how to start and the benefits you get from it, keep reading!

TIPS

• Take a class.

Despite the fact that we have technology on our side, if you’re a beginner I would recommend trying to take a class first. Not only is it easier because a teacher would guide you through the meditation, but it’s also easier to stick with the habit if you have someone helping you build a foundation. Think of it this way, if you were to try yoga, it would be easier to take a class for it first, right? The same thing goes for meditation. After you’ve figured out whether or not meditating is for you, then you can try looking for an app to help you out. I personally really like the Asana Rebel app or Insight Timer. You can always go to sonima.com and start out with a videos as well!

• Educate yourself on different meditation techniques.

Like I mentioned above, there are many different ways you can meditate and by talking to your instructor about what your meditation goals might be, she/he can train you within a specific lineage or tradition. It’s not just about finding a video on youtube and immediately thinking it will work for you.

• Read a book.

If classes aren’t in your budget and videos aren’t your thing, picking up a book is a great choice. I would recommend “Turning the Mind into an Ally” by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche or “Start Here Now: An Open-Hearted Guide to the Path and Practice of Meditation” by Sarah Piver.

• Stick to a routine.

Just like working out, your meditating time should fit into your routine and what works for you, whether it’s the morning or when you get home from school/work. If you realize you don’t have time for it today, make sure you keep going and to stay constant. Just keep in mind that by making time for meditating, you’re building a lifetime habit that will allow you to be more productive and discerning with the rest of your life. It’s a journey after all!

• It takes time.

Don’t expect to see results right away. Meditation takes time for it to have an effect on you, especially if you’re stressed and anxious. Just like you can’t go to the gym three times and feel disappointed when you don’t immediately lose 10lbs, you can’t get disappointed if you don’t feel complete serenity and peace after only meditating three separate times.

Also, I feel like I have to mention that you shouldn’t feel disappointed if you don’t feel a certain way after you meditate. However you feel is fine.

COMMON QUESTIONS

How often should I meditate? Is there a minimum amount of time necessary for someone to feel the benefits?

Experts recommend meditating for 10-20 minutes a day, but also try to do it every day if you want to see the most results. Consistency is what will allow you to see your progress over time.

Can you meditate too much?

Nope!

I do yoga, is that the same?

No, meditation and yoga are two separate things. That being said, some meditation teachers will teach yoga and some yoga teachers will include a little bit of meditation in their class from time to time. But I can see where you might get confused!

What if I fall asleep? / How do I not fall asleep?

The wonderful thing about meditation is that it is a way for you to become familiar and aware of what’s going on with you. If you fall asleep, take it as you body’s way of telling you you need more rest. And if so, don’t worry about it! It happens more often than you’d think. I would recommend doing a few stretches before sitting down and meditating or having a cup of tea -no coffee- or a glass of cold water.

How do I wake up after meditating?

I would suggest taking your time and slowly stretching so you can easily re-enter your day. I wouldn’t recommend immediately getting up and picking up your phone or watching Netflix. Try savouring the way you feel afterwards.

BENEFITS

• Reduces stress.

Studies have shown that meditation improves your ability to regulate your emotions over time, since it allows you to take charge of your own nervous system and feelings. This is something I know to be true, since I’ve been diagnosed with GAD and I’m regularly stressed with schoolwork and my personal life, so meditating has helped me ground myself and take time to concentrate on what’s going on through my head. It’s not about solving problems, though, but more so to find what’s agitating me and calm down. It’s super empowering.

• Improves concentration.

It’s been proven that meditation improves your ability to multitask and it has been linked to a number of things that lead to increased focus and memory. It’s truly fascinating how you can see it’s effect at that level of the brain! I for one have started feeling more centered and focused. I’m a pretty distracted person, but I no longer find myself getting quite as distracted regularly. Meditation has allowed me to connect with my real source of energy and it has improved my concentration.  

• Encourages a healthy lifestyle.

I’m not just talking about eating healthy, but you also tend to do more things that are better for you. Since you often apply the Hippocratic oath: “First, do no harm”, you just want to start putting good things in your body. Your body turns into this beautiful temple and you see how powerful it is and so you want to give it only the best, to nurture and love it. I know I’ve cut down on my alcohol consumption and I’m ready to start eating fresher foods. And who knows? Maybe I’ll be able to give up coffee.

• Increases self-awareness and acceptance.

It makes you feel more secure in your own skin, since you’re taking the time to dive inside yourself and explore your mind, you slowly become more comfortable with showing who you are.

• Increases happiness.

Meditation helps you to put yourself first, which paves the way to finding your happiness. Studies have shown that our brain starts signaling increases in the left side of the prefrontal cortex -responsible for positive emotions-, while decreasing in the right side -responsible for negative emotions-.

• Slows down aging.

Need I say more? Ok, let’s get a little more scientific. Sara Lazar, a researcher from Harvard University, found that cognition seems to be preserved in those who meditate. She also adds that meditators have more gray matter -in other words, more brain cells. What does this all mean then? That meditation “lengthens life by maybe a bit of a stretch,” Elizabeth Hoge says, Lazar’s colleague. She follows up with, “But there is something about meditation that is associated with longer telomeres … [perhaps that] it reduces stress and its effects on the body.”

• Benefits to cardiovascular and immune health.

Meditation encourages the body to relax, which  helps the blood pressure to drop. Not to mention, it also improves sleeping patterns and consequently, gives you an amazing energy boost. I tend to lose sleep very easily and I’ve found that if I’m feeling too anxious or funny after midnight, if I meditate it helps me calm down quicker.

So there you have it, guys! My tips, tricks and a little bit of my experience with meditation. I hope you guys learned something from this article and hopefully helped you try it out!

Image Credit: 1 2 3 4 5

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.