This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Growing up I had also looked at myself in a negative light, especially when it came to my weight; now there could be many reasons for this but none the less I become obsessed with my weight and how I looked. During the summer after my freshman year of high school, I became so obsessed that I stopped eating, and all I did was go for runs. And people noticed that I began losing weight and congratulated me on it, but what they didn’t know was what I was doing behind closed doors. As time went on this became too much for me and I started eating healthy again and some of the weight came back, but I was okay with that, well eventually I was okay with that. It took many years and long talks with my therapist to get to the point that I am at now.

I still struggle but the fact of the matter is you have to learn to love yourself. Even if it takes you years, and seeing a therapist. I promise you that it is so much more worth it when you accept who you are. The comparing stops, the calculating everything you eat stops. I know it is not the easiest thing in the world, and there will be days where you don’t think you look good in anything you wear. But you don’t have to go through this alone, talk to your friends, and let people know you are struggling. I promise you that so many people have felt the same way. Body positivity opens up so many doors because when you are confident and comfortable in your own skin you take more risks and do what you have always wanted to do. You are the only one holding yourself back not your body.

Image Credits: 1 2 3

Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.