This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

Essential Oils… but how essential are they actually? It’s no secret or taboo anymore that herbal, aromatic or spiritual healing has skyrocketed in the recent years. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell what actually works, what’s worth the money and time and how they will affect you. A newer “medicine” that has surfaced is practicing aromatherapy with the use of oils. Items found in the drugstore may say they are, or contain, essential oils but a true essential oil is defined as being isolated by physical means only, according to Dr. Brian Lawrence (an expert in essential oils).

When thinking about this article, the immediate thought that came to my mind was my sister. My older sister, Kristin, has her fair share of aches and trials with recently altering her lifestyle into a dairy-free one and some frequent stomach pains. Not being one for having to take a multitude of pills with side effects, she researched and experimented with other things that would make her body feel better. She loves her essential oils. She has a travel pack with her that remains in her car or in her purse at all times and it seems she has an oil for literally everything.

I was not a believer at all until she used that on me over Thanksgiving break. I woke up with an excruciating headache while I was dealing with a head cold and her aid to me was grabbing some essential oils and putting them on key areas of my face to relieve the pain. I didn’t think it would work, but after a little bit of time passed; the pain started to ease and I started to feel better. While I am not a frequent user of them, I do understand their importance and so does my sister.

So I decided to interview her to get the inside scoop on these new aromatherapeutic oils.

1. What are Essential Oils?

Essential oils are organic compounds extracted from plants that offer therapeutic properties. EOS are found in a plant’s flower, stem, leaves, bark, or even the fruit the plant may offer. The chemistry is very complex, sometimes consisting of hundreds of different and unique chemical compounds; which makes each oil unique in its own way. Basically – the oils are “lifeblood” of a plant. They protect the plant from disease, provide the plant with nutrients, and help it fight off anything it doesn’t want! The oils keep the plant healthy and functioning at its best. So – think of the plant having an immune system. The oils are like the antibodies we have in our body; fighting off illness and keeping us healthy.

NOTE: Essential oils are not the same as vegetable oil or olive oils ..  or any type of oils that are replacing veggie oil these days.

2. How do they work?

Well – there are three ways that essential oils “work.” Aromatically, topically, and internally. However – store bought essential oils should not be digested nor placed on your body without a carrier oil. Here’s the thing – there is a reason the oils you buy at the pharmacy or grocery store are cheap, they are highly diluted with water or something we just don’t know of. That’s why I use Young Living. Young Living oils are more expensive but I can place a drop of (most oils) oil under my tongue, in my tea, in a capsule to take with my vitamins, directly on my skin, inhaled directly from the bottle, placed in a diffuser, in a bathtub, in a roller, and on my feet; oh and I can cook with them!! I mean really – safe and a therapeutic grade offers the ability to do so much more with them.

Anyways – here’s what happens when you use the oils: YL oils reach every cell in your body within 20 minutes when applied topically. When used aromatically, they enter your body pretty quickly!

3. How many different scents/types are there?

Too many! There are single oils and then there are blends!

4. What are the benefits of them?

Ability to regenerate DNA, has the capability of passing the “blood-brain” barrier, work on emotions through the limbic system when inhaled, release emotional trauma, relax, clear the mind, transport nutrients to starving human cells, act as an antioxidant, increase atmospheric oxygen, remove toxins in the air, purify icky smells, increase ozone and negative ions in the area that inhibit bacterial growth, create spiritual awareness, help skin, help with stomach-aches and headaches, helps alleviate pain, helps sleep and staying asleep, you name it…

5. How have they helped you?

Essential oils have helped me fall asleep and stay asleep, it alleviates my stomach aches when I eat something I shouldn’t, helps with inflammation of my back or other injuries, helps me focus, my mood, my motivation, keeps me grounded during yoga, makes my water taste better, keeps me relaxed, helps my sinuses when I am sick, and really pretty much everything else. My skin is the best it has ever been – at 28, one doesn’t want to continue having teenager acne and finally, EOS has helped!

6. How did you hear about them?

I have always been interested in using essential oils but did not think they worked. I was buying oils from TJ Maxx and pharmacies and going through them so quickly. I found Young Living thanks to a friend from college and found that not only do they work but I only need a drop to feel a difference.

7. How long have you been using them?

I have been using Young Living oils since August. Prior to finding YL, I have been using oils for a couple of years on and off.

8. What primary use do you use them for?

I use my oils for pretty much everything. I start my morning with a drop of lemon oil in my hot water. I use it in my skincare routine both morning and night. I cover myself in various oils on my feet, behind my ears, on my ears, and on my spine prior to leaving for work. I cover places on my ears during work when I need a pick me up. I use it for sleep and during my yoga practice. So – pretty much everything.

9. Do they work better than medicine?

Essential Oils are NOT a replacement for modern medicine. However, I personally… do not believe in using medicine for everything. I have found that a lot of oils help me with most things but currently I am sick with an upper respiratory infection so I use medicine prescribed by a doctor to help my infection. Oils can help with a lot but they are not meant to be a substitute, they just offer support and healthy properties. For example, I felt a cold coming on several weeks ago, so I used some oils to help boost my immune system. If I hadn’t done that, I could have the flu or pneumonia but some of the oils helped lessen the severity of my current illness.

So there you have it… all the information you need about essential oils and the bountiful, positive effects they have on the human body. If you are looking for a different approach to modern issues you might be experiencing but hate pills and nothing seems to work, essential oils may be your best bet!

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5

Brittany is a senior Ecology, Evolution, & Behavior major with a minor in Communications in Art & Mass Media. Along with being a member of Her Campus, she is a member of Theta Phi Alpha and Lion Ambassadors. She is the Coordinator of Publicity for Project Paws and Event Planning Chair for our very own HerCampus. Brittany LOVES to craft in her spare time and is quite the animal and nature lover. Instagram: brittanyt6 Twitter: @brittany_t6
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.