CRYSTAL CLEAR: A quick guide to crystals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PS Behrend chapter.

It’s that time of the year again! And no, I’m not talking about finals -but that sure is around the corner. I’m talking about ~*~*MeRcUrY rEtRoGrAdE~*~*. That’s right, the world’s most inconsiderate planet started retrograding a few days ago, but I’ve talked about it enough IRL that I’ve decided to not bore you about how Mercury’s slowing everything down and it’s causing more people to drop their iPads in toilets than usual and blah blah blah. Instead, today we’re going to delve into the topic of crystals, since finals are right around the corner and so is summer, a little bit of good juju wouldn’t hurt anyone, right!?

Let’s start with the basics: what exactly are crystals? If you ask geologists, they’ll tell you what determines a crystal is its shape, size and chemical composition. If you go to a jeweler, it’ll be more about decoration and monetary value. However, if you go to health therapist or a crystal enthusiast, they’ll tell you crystal are healing tools with which each individual can heal you or amplify your energy to channel or focus it. What is this energy I’m talking about? Well, crystals, stones and minerals have energetic properties that you can use to heal yourself. Some crystals have higher frequencies, and their strong energy fields can be used to raise your personal vibration.

You know those days when sometimes eating your veggies and using the right products and you try to work out and sweat off whatever’s on your mind but you just can’t seem to shake it off? That’s where crystals come in. But remember: crystals aren’t a cure-all, they simply enhance the work you’re already doing, so it’s vital that you keep working on yourself and engaging with others.

But what can you actually do with crystals? How do you use them, and how do you choose?

In my experience, choosing a crystal is all about intuition. You may not actually feel the energy buzzing through that gorgeous selenite and making it’s way to your body, but what your body does pick up are the subtle vibrations the stone might be putting out there. It’s not quite as easy as walking outside, picking up a rock and holding it to your forehead. Although I’ve been known for doing this to my friends from time to time. Sorry.

Generally my first suggestion is to walk around the store and pick up as many crystals that catch your attention -if possible. We are usually naturally drawn to certain stones -though we may not know why- and often times when the right one is in your hand, you know. I’ve seen it happen multiple times. Either me or a friend will pick up a stone for whatever reason and when we ask about its properties, it fits perfectly. There are also hundreds of stones that fit every mood, personality, crisis and/or desire you might have, so if you walk out the door with 5+ crystals and a guilty conscience, fret not, we’ve all been there.

When it comes to where to put your new crystals around the house, because certain stones have and work with specific energies, they tend to work better in certain areas of your space. For example, selenite has amazing cleansing properties and in my honest opinion is a must in your bedroom, especially if you suffer from insomnia or nightmares. Keep a few pieces around your bed and it should calm you down. Another great example is citrine, a crystal that radiates confidence and prosperity and works well in your workspace.

There are many other ways to use your stones. One of the most popular ones is to meditate. Meditating with stones is incredibly powerful, but it’s worth noting that some people are more sensitive to a stone’s energy than others and it’s important that you meditate with one that works with you best. A good way to get familiar with your crystals is to lay down and place the stone somewhere on your body -preferably a chakra– and lay with it for a few minutes. You may or may not feel something, but it will definitely help you pick the stone’s subtle *~*~ViBrAtIoNs~*~*.

Another great use and way to get acquainted with your stones is to carry them around with you! Grab ‘em and put them in your pockets or a bag and walk out the door. Whatever you end up doing, don’t forget that crystals are meant to be used in the way that best serves you.

When you first bring stones home, they will benefit from an energetic cleaning since in the store they tend to pick up on a lot of people’s energy and are often touched or moved around. My favorite way to clean my crystals are to bathe them in the ocean, but I know this isn’t always possible, so a salt bath will work just as well. Grab a few teaspoons of sea salt and mix it with water in a bowl and place the bowl in the sunlight, or under the moonlight, and let the stone sit overnight. When it comes out it’ll be energetically clean and ready for you.

Some crystals are slightly water soluble, and it’s worth noting before you bring them home! selenite, fibrous Malachite, mica, and iron pyrite don’t like the water. For these stones, I’d recommend an energetic cleaning using sage, palo santo, or even selenite itself.

If you’re just starting out, here are ten stones that will help you dip a toe into the shallow end of healing crystals. There are, however, some great staples I’d recommend for any developing collection:

Selenite

Selenite is a fantastic energy cleanser, though it never needs cleaning itself. Aside from being great to grab after a tough day of difficult interactions, it’s perfect for using to clean the energy of any other stone you might bring home.

Amethyst From delicate lilac to vibrant purple, amethyst is an all-purpose stone that invites inspiration, happiness and positivity. Since the stone resonates with both the crown and third eye chakras, it can be useful when you’re looking to center yourself or look inward to connect on a deep level while still remaining grounded.

Rose Quartz Though the light pink color may seem delicate, rose quartz is an incredibly powerful healing stone when it comes to matters of the heart. Peaceful, comforting and loving, rose quartz offers gentle, energizing support for explorations of self-love, enabling you to look inside yourself and understand what kind of love you should be showing yourself.

Obsidian This dark crystal is actually glass formed when molten lava from volcanic eruptions cools quickly. It’s closely tied to the root chakra, meaning it has powerful grounding and protective properties. Not only that but it also works wonders to ward off negative energy.  

Jade Jade has been used as a healing stone for nearly 6,000 years, so its powers are legit. Known in ancient cultures as the “dream stone,” jade carries a serene energy — think of it as the calm in the middle of a storm — making it the perfect sidekick for meditation and introspection.

Agate If you’re going to carry one stone around with you wherever you go, let it be agate. As the communication stone, agate will help you open up and make expression easier. Promoting inner stability, security and self-confidence, it’s no wonder agate is highly regarded as a stabilizing and strengthening influence.

Hematite The white t-shirt of healing stones, hematite is useful for anyone at any time. Sometimes known as the “root chakra stone,” hematite helps ground, connect and protect you with the supportive energies of Earth. It’s also an excellent tool for improving confidence and self-esteem.

Clear Quartz Often referred to as the “Master Healer,” clear quartz can be used for pretty much anything. Whether the issue is physical, mental, emotional or spiritual, this stones works to cleanse and connect the body with the mind. It also plays well with others and will amplify the effect of other crystals.

Beyond anything else, collecting crystals should be fun, enriching, and interesting. Get out and experience whatever you can, and see for yourself which gems are right for you! Even if you don’t happen to believe in these magical healing powers, it’s hard to deny their beauty.

Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 

Andrea Gáez

PS Behrend '19

From Panama.xx
Kayla McEwen

PS Behrend

Kayla A. McEwen: President and Campus Correspondent  Senior at Penn State Behrend Marketing & Professional Writing Major Part-time dreamer and full-time artist Lover of art, fashion, witty conversation, winged eyeliner, and large cups of warm beverages.