This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

The world has adjusted to wearing face masks everywhere during the Covid-19 pandemic. If you’re like me, constant use of them in public has resulted in “maskne,” otherwise known as unwanted acne and breakouts around your nose and mouth. Here are some tips I found helpful to avoid and handle any annoying mask-related breakouts. 

Tip #1: Be cautious of reusing masks. 

Wearing the same mask builds up dirt and oil that will end up irritating your skin. It is better to dispose of the surgical ones or wash your cotton ones after each use. 

Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Tip #2: Don’t wear makeup under the mask. 

Makeup from your eyes up is okay, but under your mask, mixed with humidity and bacteria, it can clog your pores and cause unwanted breakouts. Plus, no one will see your makeup anyways, so there is no harm in not applying any. 

Woman putting on makeup with a face mask on
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

Tip #3: Wash and cleanse your face each night. 

After a long day of studying and attending classes with a mask on, washing and cleansing your face with warm water will help get rid of all the bacteria, dirt, and oil on your face. I recommend the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. It is fragrance-free, great for sensitive skin, and does a nice job of cleaning your face at the end of the day. 

Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

Tip #4: Put on a (skincare) face mask. 

If you already have acne from wearing a mask, establishing a skincare routine and using a face mask 1-2 times per week can help unclog your pores and prevent those breakouts from getting worse. There are many great and affordable ones to use, so find one that is best for your skin type and concerns. Your skin will thank you!

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Tip #5: Moisturize. 

No matter your skin type, it is important to keep your skin hydrated. I suggest applying a lightweight moisturizer, so that your skin doesn’t feel heavy with a mask on. Moisturizing also creates a small barrier between the mask and your skin that can stop unnecessary bacteria from causing acne. 

beauty products outside
Emily Nelissen

Be sure to take care of yourself and your skin during these unprecedented times…and remember, Friars protect Friars, so wear a mask! 

three girls during golden hour
Photo by Simon Maage from Unsplash

Alyssa Marcus

Providence '23

Alyssa is a senior Political Science major with a Spanish minor at Providence College and co-president for Her Campus! She is also involved in PC's Mock Trial Team, Admissions Ambassadors, and Student Alumni Association. In her free time, she loves photography, traveling, and exploring coffee shops in Downtown Providence!