timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why You’re Going to be Fine this Valentine’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Valentine’s Day’s here, and in past years, I would be reflecting about my singleness over a pint of cookie dough ice cream and maybe a season or two of Friends completely in my feelings about life. Sad right?

But this year’s different. I don’t feel the looming doom of Valentine’s Day over my shoulder as it comes closer and closer. I don’t feel the need to get all caught up in the hopes of someone taking me out. I don’t feel the need to find a potential bae for the night.

It took a while, but I’ve realized: Being single is not a bad thing.

Let me say it louder for the people in the back:  BEING SINGLE IS NOT A BAD THING!

We all live in a society that puts an extreme value on the idea of having someone complete you or that someone is your “missing piece”. But that’s just absolute garbage. You don’t need someone to complete you. In the words of Taylor from Bachelor in Paradise, “we don’t need someone to complete our puzzle.” We complete our own puzzle and find someone else to compliment that puzzle.

You’re good on your own. You’re kind, smart, beautiful, and important. And one day, you’ll find someone just as kind, smart, beautiful and important to live your life with. Or you won’t, and that’s okay. Because you can stand on your own and you’re so capable.

So, this Valentine’s Day. Celebrate yourself! Take a day off, watch a show on Netflix, take yourself out to dinner, do a face mask. Love yourself because you deserve it, boo. 

Lover of friends, family, and my pupper