Which Flowers Should You Give Your Valentine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As everyone knows, Valentine’s Day’s coming up. While you may be single or otherwise cynical about the day, it’s still great to have an excuse to show your loved ones you care! And what’s a better way to send some love than with a bouquet of fresh, fragrant flowers? Here’s a list of what to get for the special people in your life.

Your Parents

Sweet Pea

Sweet pea’s especially useful for thanking someone. Because it’s often given while departing from a good time spent with someone, parents are the perfect recipient when the giver’s a homesick college student.

Pink Calla Lily

Symbolizing admiration, pink calla lilies will express the appreciation and admiration you feel toward your guardians. While other colors have other meanings, pink probably suits this recipient best.

A Friend

Yellow Rose

While red roses are definitely romantic, yellow roses are more associated with friendship. The bright color will surely make your pal’s day!

Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemums have many different meanings and significances across cultures but were given in Victorian times as a sign of friendship. White versions of the flower, which represent loyalty, are the ideal choice.

A Significant Other

Red Rose

A classic choice, red roses come to mind when one thinks of romance. You can’t go wrong in giving a romantic partner one of these!

Tulips

The tulip’s another timeless option for expressing romantic love. They also serve as a reminder of new beginnings and the coming spring.