Meet Allie Clifford, A Girl That Can Do Both

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Meet Allie, a nursing student here at the University of Portland as well as an Army ROTC cadet. Allie’s in her sophomore year of college and she’s honestly one of the niftiest people I have ever met. Not only is she extremely down to earth and loving of everyone but she can be a bad*ss when she wants to be. See for yourself!

Allie (right) and a friend from ROTC

What made you choose to become a cadet in Army ROTC?

“I’ve always wanted to be a part of the army, and I wanted to go along the officer route while also having my school paid for. I found out about the ROTC Program at the University of Portland through a family friend that also did the program.”

Do you find it difficult to juggle nursing school with your duties as an army cadet?

“Well, in the beginning, we were taught how important time management was. So yes, it was difficult but possible, and I’ve gotten used to it for the most part. I’d say in general that the hardest part is nursing, but ROTC makes it worth it because 1) I won’t be in debt *lol* and 2) I enjoy learning new things that I am exposed to.”

What other activities do you enjoy when you’re not studying for school or doing drills?

“I love to work out. On campus, I teach an exercise class called high-fitness. I also like to run, and I weight-lift on a regular basis. I’m super involved in Young Life and Christian organizations in general. I love to spend time with my friends and family, watch Netflix, go to church, and yea.”

What is it about Young Life that attracts you?

“Young Life was the first community I got involved in that really made me feel welcome here in Portland. It’s a great way to meet people, feel loved, have a support system, and be in a Christ community. It’s a place where I could be myself the most, which I absolutely love, and I really wanted to bring that aspect of Young Life back to school with me. I’ve made a lot of friends and experienced a lot of personal growth because of it.”

What’s your favorite part about being in the ROTC program?

“Coming into the ROTC program, I realized how much I didn’t know. It’s a part of a whole other world and I’m still just learning the basics. I’ve grown up a lot through leadership because I’m normally kind of a ‘quiet’ leader. I’ve become more confident in myself. My favorite part of it is how much I learned and how much there is to be learned about myself as a leader and the army in general.”

One thing that I noticed about Allie is that if she wants something, she’s gonna go after it, and I really admire that about her. She’s extremely motivated, which you can definitely see if you go to one of her dance/workout classes. Last time I went, she kicked my butt…almost literally. Not only is she a wonderful role model, but also a super great friend!

Lover of all things art, dog, and coffee related♡