How to Stay Healthy While Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

1. Yoga

Don’t like cardio but want to be able to say you got a workout in? Then maybe give yoga a shot! There’s so many free yoga workout plans on pinterest. You can do it in the privacy of your room, it’s free, and you can tailor it to fit your exercise needs. Try meditating at the end of your yoga sesh as a way to calm down your stress from studying. 

2. Eat more protein for breakfast

Start your day right by eating a meal that keeps you fuller and energized for longer. Oatmeal or eggs are two good choices!

3. Make sleep a reward

While of course we should get eight hours of sleep each night that just isn’t happening for all of us. Pick one night of the week when you could actually sleep in a bit or go to bed early. 

4. Have a fun activity planned for the weekend

Maybe you can keep your wits about you if you know you and your friends are going out to watch a movie on Saturday. A fun reward to look forward to can make your week fly by and keep your spirits up!

5. Drink a lot of Water

Besides just being amazing for you, drinking more water will help keep you full. Which means less snack breaks and more focusing. 

6. Make one smart food choice each day

As college students we are surrounded by grilled cheese sandwiches, energy drinks, and no parents to tell us not to eat these things. Eating right can also be a challenge when eating is your main source of entertainment. Try making one healthy meal choice each day. So instead of a grilled cheese sandwich for both lunch and dinner, try getting a salad for dinner. Compromise people. 

7. Walk/bike/rollerblade everywhere

Another free source of exercise! And if you’re sitting in class and studying all day it might be nice to take a walk and listen to some music.

8. Meal prep

The easier it is to do something the more likely you will be to do it. So if eating healthy day in and day out isn’t that easy for you then find ways to make it easier! This could mean you meal prep on Sunday. This way you can take each meal and go in the morning. 

9. Find junk food substitutes

If you’re craving chips then bulk nuts are actually a really good replacement. Dark chocolate is tasty if you’re craving something sweet. 

10. Cut yourself some slack/ know your limits

You don’t have to be at 100% all the time. We all have just 24 hours in a day to do what we need to do. Sometimes you’ll have time for all of your priorities and other times you need all the time just for you. 

Kelsie is from Klamath Falls, Oregon. She is a sophomore pursuing a Political Science and Spanish Double Major at the University of Portland. She has five brothers and two sisters. Her hobbies include hiking, watching movies, and telling bad jokes.