This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Finals are just around the corner, and with them comes a number of emotions. Stress and anxiety can hit like a train wrecking into Los Angeles traffic full of semi-trucks. UP offers a lot of stress-relieving activities such as Voodoo Donut socials, puppies, and free coffee. For some people, socializing is not the ideal stress relieving activity. Some people prefer to unwind from long hours of studying alone. One of my favorite ways to unwind alone is through art!

Stress therapy through art is a great for a number of reasons. It provides a great way to distract yourself from stressing out too much. Distractions help you clear your mind, and hopefully refresh yourself for some more studying. It also promotes “flow” which is the experience of being completely focused and engaged on something that you’re almost in a meditative state. Flow has the many benefits of meditation. A hobby like this one promotes self care and self reflection which is important in having a balanced, less stressful life.

There are a couple ways to delve into the arts as a busy and broke college student. You don’t have to go out and buy a professional set of oil paints and canvases. You can go to a local drug store and buy a standard pallet of water colors. Water colors are easy to use and don’t get too messy. You can also pick up needle work. Knitting or embroidery are super simple things to do, but can take a little longer. You can start a bigger project that you come back to every study break. Socials aren’t for everyone, find something that gives you some stress relief!