A Candid Interview with Kenna Community Assistant, Julianna Oliphant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Julianna (right) with her roommate Sarah at Kenna Thanksgiving.

What’s your major?

I’m a nursing major who is considering a minor in French.

Where’s your hometown?

Kaneohe, Hawaii

Why did you choose UP?

I was fascinated by the idea of Portland, a new climate and culture. I really wanted to go someplace different. Plus, it has an incredible nursing program and I loved the feel of the campus.

How did you adjust to Portland and the city?

I love public transportation! My favorite thing about dorm life is building a community and getting involved.

How do you think you’ve changed since coming to UP?

I’ve learned a lot about myself and what I need to be successful both academically and socially. I found friends in people that help me develop what I’m passionate about as a person. I now have a clearer purpose in my life and what I want to do.

Any hobbies or guilty pleasures?

Listening to and belting out musicals.

If you could be in any musical what would it be & why?

Hamilton! It’s amazing and the story and character development are incredible. It’s so creative and it would be such a cool project to be a part of.

This is your second year in Kenna, why did you choose this dorm?

I love the people, the community and overall feel of Kenna. I never want to leave!

How was adjusting to dorm life?

I think I adjusted pretty well and this year my roommate’s my friend. Sometimes it’s hard to find alone time, but there are always people around for support.

What’s your favorite Kenna event?

Kenna Thanksgiving because it’s about the Kenna community and provides the opportunity to eat and have fun. Random movie nights in the lobby are the best!

Do you have any funny or embarrassing stories?

Freshman year my roommate and I were going to shower at the same time, so we just decided to leave our door open. My roommate forgot her towel and when she went back to the room to get it she accidentally closed our door. Afterwards, we were both stuck in the hallway in our towels and had to wait for the RA to come unlock it. It was hilarious and a little embarrassing.

Who’s your best friend? How did you two meet?

Sarah Reed. We first met in Kenna and ran into each other in Buckley Center and realized we had 2 classes together on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. We started hanging out a lot after that, and are now roommates.

When’s your least favorite time at UP?

Every time I have a paper haha. Probably when I have big projects in most of my classes due at the same time. It can get very busy and stressful.

Any advice for freshmen?

Be okay with making mistakes. It’s okay to not have everything figured out because no one really does. Discovering what your passionate about, and what you want to do with your life is what college is all about. Try everything and don’t be afraid of picking the wrong thing because you’ll never know unless you try it.

What’s one thing you really want to do next year?

There are so many things I want to do next year! I would love to travel outside the U.S. and experience different cultures to broaden my perspective.