This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

I think we all can agree this last few weeks have taken their toll on all of us. While Fall break is a great way to de-stress. there are some everyday things you can do all throughout the year to take care of yourself.

1. Shower time is me time

I know for those of us who shower it the morning, you’re up against a deadline but for those who shower mid-day or at night, take that time for yourself. Use it as a break between studying and pamper yourself. There are tons of DIY body scrubs that only require sugar and olive oil to make. Not only do they help your skin, they also make you feel less like a homework zombie. Afterwords, take the time to treat yourself to some lotion in a scent you like.

1. No put-me-downs

I know this is easier said than done, but don’t berate yourself. You can acknowledge your mistakes and shortcomings but don’t play them on repeat in your head. Even if it seems dumb, take the time everyday, even for just a few minutes, to think of what you have or what you’ve done that you like. Are your Batman themed socks super cool? Did you do your mascara without poking yourself in the eye? Are your freckles cute as h*ll?

1. Music to chill

If you’re like me, you can’t go anywhere without your headphones. But as much as I like my pump up dance music, sometimes you need music to bring you down into a more relaxed headspace. It can be anything from listening to the sounds of a rainstorm, hair brushing, or instrumentals

1. Surround yourself with comfort

There’s several fairly simple things you can do to help make yourself feel content. You can read by the fireplace in the commons, study with a fuzzy blanket in the library, or make yourself a cup of tea or hot chocolate. It’s been proven that warm drinks have a comforting effect on people, so when you’re feeling down, go grab your mug.

1. Small memories of home

When you need a pick me up, you can watch a video of your dog spazzing out, send a friend a silly snapchat, or call home to tell your family that you love them. Sometimes reminders that you have people that love and support you can do wonders for your mood.

Remember that your physical and mental health is always the most important thing to consider! 

I'm an Environmental Ethics and Policy Major, an intersectional feminist, and fashion lover.