5 Essential Oils That You Need in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

As women, we’re bombarded with messages from beauty companies daily telling us that we need to buy their newest product to be beautiful. We find ourselves spending hundreds on these products, that contain chemicals linked to cancer like BHA and BHT, found in some moisturizers and makeup. Even more, the packaging of many beauty products is plastic and often non-recyclable. However, what beauty companies haven’t told you is that you can use essential oils to get the same beauty benefit without wasting money, hurting your health or wasting plastic. Essential oils have made such an impact in my life and I want to share them with you! Here are 5 essential oils you need in your life.

1. Lavender Oil 

Benefits:

• Put a little on your hand during finals week and smell when needed for instant stress relief.
  • It promotes sleep. Dab a bit on your pillow before bed and sleep like a rock.
  • Lavender has a stimulating effect on hair growth! Make a lavender hair mask out of coconut oil and 15 drops of lavender to promote beautiful and natural hair growth!

2. Green Tea Oil

Benefits:

• It’s great for acne! Put a bit on your problem areas and its antibacterial properties will kill that zit in no time.
  • Swipe a bit under your eyes to reduce bagginess and dark circles.

3. Rose Oil 

Benefits: 

• It smells great!! Dab a bit on your wrists and use as a perfume.
  • Rose oil can be rubbed on acne scars to reduce the appearance.
  • It’s also can be put on the ends of hair to reduce split ends!

4. Peppermint Oil 

Benefits: 

• Mix with water and swig around to use as a natural mouthwash.
  • Peppermint oil has a cooling sensation when applied which can be used to help sunburns.
  • Smell it in the morning for an invigorating scent that’ll wake you right up!

5. Lemongrass Oil 

Benefits: 

• Smell when stressed for quick stress relief.
  • Insects hate it! Use it as a natural insect repellent!
  • It can even work to decrease perspiration for a natural deodorant when you need a little extra help.
Victoria is a senior marketing major with a sustainability minor at the University of Portland. In her free time, she loves browsing the aisles of Target, exploring Portland and drinking chocolate milk. When in doubt her outfits are almost entirely from Old Navy and you can normally find her in Kenna Hall where she is one of the Resident Assistants.