Ali Chain ’16: Tinker Bell In Point Park’s Upcoming Production

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Photo by Allie Duda

Did you love watching Peter Pan as a kid? Well, get excited because Point Park will be putting on a production of it over the first two weekends of April! Playing the role of Tinker Bell is Ali Chain, a sophomore dance major & Campus Life CF from Scottsbluff, Nebraska! Her Campus writer Allie Duda brings you the full scoop on the small-town girl who will play everyone’s favorite fairy:

What made you decide to attend Point Park University?

AC: I wasn’t supposed to dance in college; I was set on attending a small, private, very conservative college in Hillsdale, Michigan. I was planning on going for pre-med in the hopes of becoming a plastic surgeon. The summer before I started senior year, I broke a bone in my ankle. Although when I first went to the doctor I was told it was only a sprain so I continued to walk and put pressure on it. Four days after it happened, I found out the inner part of my talus bone was broken and they couldn’t operate because it was too far in to the foot. Here’s the kicker. I was also told that if I would have put any more pressure on my foot/ankle it would have shattered the bone and I could possibly be paralyzed in that foot. I was on crutches for four months and a boot for five almost six months. Taking all of this into account, I knew I couldn’t live without dancing for long, so I talked to my parents about my epiphany and they were nothing but supportive! I started looking for dance schools and figuring out auditions right away and found Point Park! It was definitely a ‘love at first sight’ sort of experience and it has worked out fabulously so far!

When and how did you develop a love for dancing?

AC: I started dancing when I was three years old and it was because my older sister was in dance. It wasn’t until age 9 when I switched studios that I decided I had a talent in this art. I couldn’t imagine a life without the ability to dance especially after my break. No matter what happened in life I knew I had dance.

What inspired you to become a Community Facilitator here at Point Park?

AC: I love helping people as well as just loving people in general. I always loved being a dance assistant and having the opportunity to have others look up to me and help them through all sorts of issues. My CF freshman year was a rockstar and made my freshman year outstanding, and I wanted nothing more than to be that person for my floor!

What is your favorite part about being a CF?

AC: Easy. My favorite part is my residents. I love every single one of them and I hope that the relationships I’ve built this year carries through the rest of my years here at Point Park.

What have you learned from juggling the demands of your major and the duties of being a CF at the same time? How do you find time to have a social life or do your homework?

AC: Definitely how to get my work done. I’ve also learned how to calm down and evaluate situations as well as how to talk to people; I mean, really talk to people. Going off of that, I’ve learned how to listen and think before speaking. Things in Campus Life have helped me with dancing in that I’ve stayed focused on important things throughout the semester. I find time for a social life definitely! Also I learned last semester to create a productive but flexible schedule for my needs in doing all sorts of work.

What advice would you give to anyone who wants to become a CF in the future?

AC: I would say to have an open mind the entire time as well as know what you’re getting into. I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in life but it is a big time commitment and nothing is worse than feeling too overwhelmed to do a good job. I just hope I fulfilled my intention of being a good role model as well as a friend and always an ear to listen to any, not just my own, residents.

How excited are you to be cast as Tinker Bell in Point Park’s upcoming show?!

AC: I cannot begin to explain how pumped I am for this production! Peter Pan is my all time favorite book, Disney movie, and overall story ever. I haven’t had any acting experience until I came to Point Park, so I know this will only broaden my horizons and teach me more than I ever thought I would know! 

Check back in with Her Campus soon for more information on when and where you can see Ali light up the stage in Peter Pan later this semester!

Allie Duda

Point Park

Allison (Allie) Duda is a sophomore Mass Communications major. She loves all aspects in the media, and hopes to dabble in all of it someday. In her free time, she enjoys going to museums, doing freelance photography work, spending time with loved ones, shopping, and watching tv/films. Check out her website at www.allisonduda.wordpress.com