7 Ways to Improve Your Dorm Chi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Does your dorm room feel drab? Does the air feels stuffy and dry, or even polluted? Is it hard to rest and relax? Follow these useful tips to turn your room into a Chi-filled haven filled with Feng Shui and good vibes!

1. Clear the clutter!

In order to improve not only the overall look of your dorm room, but the energy as well, you need to clean up. Removing old clutter and cleaning your entire room removes stress from your daily routine and allows good energy to thrive. Try fun ways to store and organize items that are otherwise scattered. If you haven’t used it or worn it in the last six months or season, get rid of it. Donate your clothes to Goodwill or take them to Plato’s Closet for some extra cash. Check out websites like thredUP.com where you can estimate how much money you’ll get for certain items. This is the time to practice the age-old saying, “out with the old, in with the new!”

2. Hang up some mirrors.

Mirrors can be used to open up a small place by making it appear larger. In the Feng Shui practice, mirrors add the element “water,” which brings wisdom and inspiration, to a home. Mirrors come in all sorts of unique shapes, sizes, and styles. If you can’t hang mirrors on the wall but still want an added reflection look, Rust-Oleum makes Mirror Effect spray which can turn any glass or acrylic surface into a mirror-like reflector. Turn old vases and candle holders into shiny “new” decorations.

3. Decorate with some crystals.

Natural minerals, stones, and crystals are a great way to bring color, good vibes, and the “earth” element to a room. The meaning and benefits you will receive depends on the type of crystal, mineral, or stone you decide to place in your area. Hematite will help with focus and concentration, citrine is for wealth, quartz for power and protection, and amethyst for peace and balance. Add another mineral element with a salt lamp. Salt lamps are becoming more and more popular for their air cleansing abilities as well as a beautiful addition to any table or night stand.

5. Get some plants.

In most dorm rooms you can’t open the windows, and if you can it’s only slightly. Plants help to purify the air by removing toxins and add the “wood” element. This will help keep you from getting sick or catch whatever is going around. They also add some extra color and to the dull beiges and tans that are now your everyday life. Plants that are easy to care for indoors and are most effective in air purification. The best plants for this include bamboo (which brings good luck!), rubber trees, peace lilies, and aloe plants. Aloe also has an added health bonus by using it to soothe burns, cuts, and stings.

6. Purchase a pet.

Most dorm rooms won’t allow large animals for obvious reasons, but will allow small animals such as fish. Betta (Siamese Fighting) fish are easy fish to take care of as they don’t need a heated or a filtered tank and can live easily in a simple fish bowl. If you do have a small tank, barb fish such as rosy barbs and tetras are some of the easier tank fish to care for. Not only do fish add a pop of color to your dorm, but they are one of the most low-maintenance pets you can have. Adding a tank or fishbowl also adds the “water” element to your room. Check out Cassi’s article to learn how to make some cool environments for your pets.

7. Lighten up!

Fluorescent lights are harsh on not only your eyes, but also your room’s energy. Using soft bulbs in lamps and utilizing natural lighting will give you the best energy throughout your personal space. Open the blinds and window drapes to let as in much natural lighting you can. Whenever you can’t light your room with natural lighting, turn off the overhead light and use table lamps. Lamps that can be easily dimmed work the best to boost energy for good health. A well-lit room makes the area look and feel larger and more welcoming. 

What have you done to maximize the chi in your dorm? Let us know on twitter, or show us on instagram, @HCPointPark! 

Haleigh Kopinski is a senior Creative Writing major with a minor in Psychology at Point Park University. Haleigh started out as a contributing writer and photographer for Her Campus Point Park and is now a Co-Campus Correspondent. When she's not writing or hanging out with her boyfriend she enjoys going to Pirates games, taking pictures, drawing, eating at new places, and going to concerts. She works at Olive Garden while she is home from school and when it's not taking up her summer time she loves boating on the Allegheny River. She is currently in the process of planning a cross-country road trip which will become a featurelength documentary. You can learn more about the trip at facebook.com/getbornfilm or indiegogo.com/projects/get-born/x/6924599#home If you like reading her pieces be sure to follow her at twitter.com/haleighkopinski or xfrankthetankx.tumblr.com to see some personal wit. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.