Have The Coolest Fishbowl On Campus In 4 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

When you live on campus, one of the comforts from home that you probably miss the most is your pet(s). But luckily, students living in the residence halls are allowed to keep a small aquarium of fish according to the Point Park University Student Handbook! While fish aren’t the best for cuddling or playing (for obvious reasons), they still have unique personalities and are sure to add some extra charm to your dorm room. You’ve probably seen some hall-mates set up a basic fishbowl on their desks, but thanks to Her Campus, you can take your underwater roommate’s living space to a whole new level by following these 4 steps!

Step 1: Give your fish a standout habitat!

Do you love a good DIY project? Turn a gumball machine into an aquarium by following these steps!

Add an extra lighting option to your room by buying a fishbowl with LED light settings!

Not only can you have another lighting option with this aquarium’s LED settings, but you can also have 1 small fish for every gallon in this 3-gallon aquarium. Be sure they aren’t betta fish, or else they’ll fight with each other!

If you do want to keep multiple betta fish, an aquarium with a divider allows them to live separately but still see each other (which actually stimulates them and gives them exercise!)

Your fish can live lavishly in it’s own “fish hotel.”

Step 2: Include a cool ground option!

Gravel gives any aquarium a nice look, and since there are so many color options, you can even pick one that matches your dorm’s color scheme!

Rocks add a sleek touch to your aquarium, and come in a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes!

Step 3: Add in properly fitting plants!

Live plants have a lot of health benefits for your fish, but since they’re a lot of maintenance, artificial ones will make your aquarium look prettier and give the fish something to play in! The artificial plant options are endless, so you’re bound to find one in the right size and color for your habitat.

Step 4: Throw in fun décor!

Ornaments are the ultimate way to show off your aquarium’s creativity and give it a statement piece!

Since aquarium decorations can be easily cleaned and replaced, get your fish friend in the holiday spirits with you by buying seasonal ornaments (like these super cute ones for Halloween!)

Just like you, your fish will want some “me-time,” so placing a hideout in it’s bowl will be much appreciated and provides something stimulating to swim through.

Did your fishbowl get a makeover after reading this article? Show us on Instagram or Twitter by tagging @HCPointPark! 

Cassandra Stovash is a Fall 2015 graduate of the Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management program at Point Park University. She began involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer at the WVWC chapter, which sparked her passion for the Her Campus mission, and knew she had to bring it to Point Park University when she transferred there in the fall of 2013. After founding the chapter and serving as its editor-in-chief for a year, she moved up the Her Campus ranks to a Chapter Advisor position that's allowed her to work with 15+ chapters across the United States! Being part of Her Campus provided Cassandra with countless opportunities throughout college such as attending Her Conference and College Fashion Week events in New York City. Her most notable highlight was receiving press access at Vans Warped Tour in 2014 & 2015, where she interviewed artists such as Echosmith, Courage My Love, The Summer Set, and PVRIS. Nowadays, Cassandra is continuing her pursuit of a career in the music industry! To get in contact with her, email Cstovash@gmail.com, or follow her on Instagram @cassi_faye.