7 reasons why health class needs an extreme makeover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

1. Abstinence Isn’t Realistic

Of course, pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases are most effectively prevented through just not having sex, but that is in no way realistic. We should be teaching students about how to practice safe sex including condoms and birth control. While abstinence is great in theory, most teenagers are experimenting and will have sex no matter what. So instead of shaming them for their actions, we must teach them how to be safe.

Photo from PngImg.com

2. Sexual Assault is Not Okay

Students may know that rape is not okay, but do they know what constitutes rape? Do they know what constitutes sexual assault? We need to be conditioning girls and boys that no means no as early as possible. We need to be teaching students the severity of the matter and how to protect themselves. We also need to let teens know that there will always be someone to help and support them if they are assaulted.

Photo from tumblr.com

3. STDs Aren’t the End of the World

We all know that sexually transmitted diseases aren’t the ideal situation, but they do happen. So, instead of shaming those who may be dealing with it and ignoring it, we should be teaching how you get them, how to prevent them, how they spread, and how to treat them.

Photo from mysecuritysign.com

4. Romantic Relationships are About Respect

Domestic violence and divorce rates are at an all time high. This could be combated by teaching high school students what makes a healthy relationship. They need to know warning signs of an abusive or unhealthy one and the perks of a healthy one. They need resources and knowledge of those willing to listen if they feel like they are in danger.

Photo from andreebelle.files.wordpress.com

5. Self Image is as Important as Physical Health…

High school is a very formative time in both boys and girls. It is important to stress to students the importance of a healthy self image. They should be told about the dangers of eating disorders and where to go in order to receive help. They should be talking about the unrealistic expectations of the media. I also feel it is important to stress the importance of humor, intelligence, and sincerity because they outweigh beauty every time.

Photo from dailymail.co.uk

6. …But We Should Still Take Care of Ourselves

I feel like every high schooler has seen the Supersize Me Documentary and if you haven’t, consider yourself lucky. School just teaches you that sugar is bad and vegetables are good and to eat in moderation, but there is so much more that goes into a proper diet. What about veganism, vegetarianism, going gluten-free, paleo? We should be learning about all of the different diets so we can gauge what is best for us. Students should also be told about differents kinds of exercise that fits with their lifestyle and that can be fun so that they are more likely to stay active.

Photo from graphiq.com

7. How Do I Cope?

Mental illness is at an all time high for teens because they are unaware of healthy coping mechanisms to deal with the stress and heartache of high school. Health class should have time dedicated to explaining the warning signs of mental illnesses like depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc. and also give resources if a student needs to talk. The class should also focus on healthy coping methods so that students grow accustomed to these good ideas rather than becoming addicted to doing something that could damage them forever.

Photo from everydayfeminism.com

Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world. 
Junior public relations and advertising major @ PPU | hockey enthusiast, crazed cat lady, lover of life, spontaneous world traveler | Forever a Naked Brothers Band fan & the future BFF of Gregory Polanco.