Wellness > Health

Tips to Make Your Smoothies More Affordable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

Starting your day with a smoothie is the ultimate way to kick off your morning, but the ingredients can be fairly costly. Even so, they’re a quick and easy way to make sure we’re getting all the fruits, vegetables and nutrients we need to power through our day. Depending on where you live and the season, you may be able to find the good prices, but that’s not always the case. 

For those who are looking to increase their daily intake of fruits and vegetables, look no further. These tips and tricks will help you in your smoothie making process to keep things under budget and delicious. 

1. Buy Frozen or Freeze Yourself

There seems to be an expectation that all the fruits and vegetables you buy have to be fresh, but that is just not realistic for most. Time gets away from us, and what is left is a fridge full of produce that has gone to waste. According to Insider, unopened packages of frozen fruits and vegetables can last from eight to 10 months. 

As well, most times, buying frozen means saving a few dollars along the way. Still, if you want to buy the fresh fruits and vegetables, you can freeze them yourself. Using the frozen fruits and vegetables can also help to create a thicker and more decadent smoothie.

2. Try Something New

When making a smoothie, we all have our go-to ingredients and normally do not think about branching out. You don’t have to use the same ingredients over and over. Take the time to check and see what the cheapest vegetables are at your local grocery store or farmers market. If you have strong flavors in the smoothie from the fruits you use, the vegetables are just there for the health benefits. I can say I definitely do not make my smoothies to taste the vegetables. 

Expand your horizons and try adding some new veggies. You don’t have to use spinach all the time. According to Healthline, other vegetables that pack some great health benefits and are not too expensive include broccoli, carrots, green cabbage and squash.

Also, do some research and see what fruits and vegetables are in season in your area. Those tend to be the most affordable options. However, they may be fruits and vegetables you do not normally gravitate towards. Give them a try anyway. You never know, you may find a new ingredient to add to your favorites.

3. Buy in Bulk

There are a lot of ingredients that you can buy in bulk and will add sustenance to your smoothie for a considerable deal. They may not be fruits or vegetables, but they are still healthy alternatives. Oatmeal, whole oats, whole flaxseed and peanut butter are items you can buy in substantial amounts, for cheap. They will make your smoothies hardier and more like a meal. 

Also, they are quite beneficial for you in terms of nutritional value. The carbohydrates from the oatmeal, whole oats and flaxseed will provide energy for the day and peanut butter is a healthy fat. These healthy fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, are associated with lower risk of chronic disease and improved heart health. 

Smoothies are a fun and vibrant food option and do not have to be overly expensive. You just have to know the right places to look and the ingredients with the best deals. Try some of these tips and tricks and you just might find a new smoothie recipe you love, on a budget. 

Nickie Hayes

Plattsburgh '23

Hello! My name is Nickie Hayes. I am a senior at SUNY Plattsburgh in upstate N.Y. with a major in fitness and wellness leadership and a minor in journalism. In my free time I love to listen to Kpop music, watch anime and play video games. At my school I am the Editor-in-Chief of our online magazine called All Points Now or APN. As well, this year for my internship I am the nutritionist for the men's soccer team. I love to write and I'm excited to be able to share my work here!