Spring Fruits and Veggies – with Recipes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

When I think of spring, I envision some of the many great things that come along with springtime: sundresses, warmer weather, sunshine and flowers. But something that many people may not consider is that with the change of weather comes a variety of new fruits and vegetables that are in season. Not only is it healthier to eat fresh fruits and veggies – it’s also less expensive to purchase produce that is in season. Here are some examples of fruits and vegetables that will be in season this spring according to the USDA, as well as recipes that you can use them in.

Avocados

Everyone’s favorite superfood will be in season during the spring and summer, meaning that it’ll be easier to get your hands on. We’ve all heard of the traditional avocado toast, but what about an avocado breakfast pizza? This yummy recipe is an example of a simple and filling meal that you can make with fresh avocados.

Spinach

If you ask me, spinach’s bad rap is undeserved. But this spinach mac n’ cheese recipe adds a healthy boost to the traditional dish, and will satisfy even the most ardent spinach-haters.

Strawberries

My favorite spring fruit is the strawberry. They’re delicious on their own, but this fun strawberry and feta salad is a great way to incorporate the berries into your lunch. Bonus: there’s spinach in it, too!

Broccoli

Broccoli is another excellent spring vegetable, and very versatile! This chicken stir-fry is a great way to include fresh broccoli in your dinner.

Asparagus

Asparagus is not always the most popular vegetable, but when cooked correctly, it can be delicious. This vegetable doesn’t need much to stand out, so this roasted asparagus recipe is the perfect way to prepare this seasonal veggie.

These are just a few examples of the many fruits and vegetables that you can get fresh during the springtime. There are many more kinds of produce that will be available this season, and there are even more ways to prepare all of these foods. So, go out there and enjoy your fresh fruits and veggies!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt