kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Resources for New Runners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

With spring sprouting early this year, there’s no doubt that you’ve seen runners hitting the streets and trails. If you’re a new runner fear not, here are some tips and tricks to get you looking your best and running to your best ability.

1. Get an App

The hardest part about running is staying motivated to building running endurance. It takes time! But with the right app, you will crush your workout goals. Some come with designed workouts and others are used to track workouts. If you’re a new runner and need a structured workout schedule, the Couch to 5k App is a great resource. Others focus on the distance and calories burned during a run. Great apps with these resources include MapMyRun and Nike+ Run Club apps.

2. Proper Shoes

There’s nothing worse than running with improper footwear. Splurge on the shoes; it’ll save your joints later. Everyone’s running strides are different and everyone’s feet are form to shoes differently. To get the best shoes for your type, head over to a running store. There experts can suggest the best running shoes for your feet. If you have an older pair of shoes, bring them in. The salesperson can look at your tread and determine which pair of shoes best fits your running style.

3. Cute Clothes

When you look your best, you feel your best. While you can essentially run in any form of workout clothes, purchasing a new tank or two and some snazzy running leggings will make a difference. Not ready to commit to pricey clothes? Hit up a Marshalls or Target for some athletic attire at an affordable price. Running is mostly about confidence and mental ability, so with the help of coordinating workout gear, any run is possible. 

4. Grab a Friend

Workouts are always better with a buddy! Make a set time to workout. Then both of you will designate the time to workout and commit to completing it. Along the way, you’ll push each other and not only achieve your goals but likely exceed them.

Photo Credits: 1 , 2 , 3

Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.