This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As the weather in Pittsburgh continues to range from freezing to below freezing, I find myself struggling with getting to the gym. In the warmer months, the fifteen minute walk from my house to Trees Hall felt like nothing more than a warm-up. However, I have found myself lacking in motivation when I think about bundling up and having to endure the wind blowing in my face as I struggle to make it uphill. On top of that is the fact that I’m juggling the workload of this new semester with midterms only a few weeks away. In the chaos that is my school work and my brain because of it, what I’ve found is that home workouts are the best way to balance it all and improve my physical and mental health. My favorite way to workout at home is by following along with a YouTube video. Having to plan my own workout is something I don’t have time for, plus, I’ve found a lot of variety in my YouTube workouts which helps keep me motivated and engaged. To help out those who may also be struggling or those who are simply looking for a new workout routine, here are three fitness YouTubers that I like to follow. 

Yoga with Adriene

For those looking for a relaxed workout to start their early morning or end their long days, I highly recommend Yoga with Adriene. She has consistent new uploads and has been posting for years, so there’s no shortage of videos to follow along with. As you may have guessed from her handle, Adriene focuses exclusively on yoga. She’s got short videos that’re under ten minutes if you’re in a rush and just need an energy boost to get your day going, or she’s got longer videos that’re over a half hour long if you have the time. One of my favorite features of Adriene’s videos is her dog Benji. He’s a blue heeler that is often featured lounging in the background of her workouts and seeing him definitely provides a mood boost. Adriene has a really calming voice and soothing nature that anyone would find pleasant and I’d recommend her to anyone looking for a new online yoga instructor.

MadFit

If yoga isn’t your thing, or you’d rather have a more intense workout, YouTuber Maddie Lymburner, otherwise known as MadFit, would be my recommendation to you. Maddie’s channel features a range of short, high intensity workouts to others that’ll give you a slow burn. One thing I really love about her videos is the variety you’ll find. From upper body to core to legs all the way to cardio, she has everything covered. When I was really struggling to find the motivation to workout, her dance workout videos were a fun and easy way to get my body moving again. Her videos are also mostly body weight based, so there’s no need to worry about getting any gym equipment like dumbbells, all you need is a mat or some open space. Maddie has a bubbly personality and her friendliness shines through her videos, making her a great trainer and motivator for her followers.

Blogilates

My final recommendation is for those who are looking for something both intense and challenging. Cassey Ho, also known on Youtube as Blogilates, makes videos centered around pilates. I honestly love her videos. In fact, my sister and I followed her 25 minute extreme ab video once during COVID and found that the challenge of it drove us to push ourselves harder. Cassey’s videos have a wide range of focuses, and though they can be challenging, I would say they still are beginner friendly. Like MadFit, her videos are also body weight centric so there’s no added equipment. She also provides modifications throughout her videos that can help people of all skill levels be able to keep up in a way that’s good for them. Cassey also often has weekly and monthly challenges for those of you that’re up to it and want something to keep you driven. If you’re looking for a fun way to work up a sweat, Cassey’s videos are perfect.

These three women are all great instructors for those who want to do home workouts. They’ve helped keep me motivated and in-shape throughout college and are easily accessible due to YouTube videos being free. I hope my suggestions will help you in your own fitness journey and beyond as we all continue to navigate our college lives. All you have to do to begin is start watching and start moving!

Grace is a junior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Media & Professional Communications. She is an editor for the Pitt chapter of Her Campus and likes to write about current events at the University as well as on topics local to the area. She is an intern for the Pitt Eats sustainability team this year and looks forward to using her media and communications skills to improve sustainability on campus and spread their message. In the future, she would also like to utilize these skills along with her writing capabilities in order to pursue a career in marketing and public relations. Besides Her Campus, Grace is also a member of Food Recovery Heroes and a captain for the Women's Club Rugby Team at Pitt.