neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Okay to Not Be Okay: Balancing Self-Care & School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The majority of students start off the new school year with the idea that they’re going to get a full eight hours of sleep, be on top of their studies, eat well and have time to hang out with their friends. But before you know it, it’s no longer syllabus week and the reality of first semester sets in. How do you decide whether it’s better to sacrifice sleep in order to meet a deadline or give yourself a break? When things start to get busy, it’s easy to forget about self-care, but this is the time when it’s most important. Self-care can be anything, big or small, that will help you recharge and feel better amidst the stress of school. It’s easy to discover ways to incorporate basic self-care into your daily routine.

1. Remember that you deserve to be here.

Remind yourself about why you’re here. You’re at this university doing everything you’re doing for a reason. When things get busy, it becomes easy to get lost in the routine of class, homework and repeat. As schedules fill up, we can lose sight of the bigger purpose behind turning in an assignment. Acknowledging the goal you’re working towards is reassuring that all the studying and effort you’re putting in is meaningful, whether or not it feels like it at the time. After all, you got into this university because you’re capable of great things.

2. Start the morning off right.

Sleeping in is a tough habit to break, but it’s not always worth rushing around, throwing everything into your book bag and sprinting out the door. Instead of feeling prepared and ready for the day, you leave feeling disorganized and unfocused. However, there are things you can do to set up your morning so you are prepared for whatever the days bring. Try making time in your schedule to drink coffee, listen to music and walk to class without rushing there. Much better, right?

3. Take breaks when necessary and make time for yourself.

Studying requires a ton of mental energy. If you’ve been sitting in the library hunched over the table and you start losing focus, either take a quick break or consider doing something else. You could go on a walk, grab a bite to eat, take a nap, etc. Your homework will still be there when you’re ready to return.

4. Talk to someone, anyone.

Talking to a friend at the end of the day and venting about classes can be a great stress reliever. Oftentimes, you may feel alone in your struggles, but in voicing them you may come to find it’s not just you who feels that way. Voicing your problems is a great way to get feelings off your chest. Keeping things in is just creates an unnecessary weight to carry around.

5. Reflect on the good parts of the day.

Every day cannot be our best day, but every day can be a good day. You don’t have to have an elaborate journal where you write an essay about what you’re grateful for. Before you lay your head down, consider one positive thing that happened today. It could range from acing a test to grabbing lunch with a friend. A good day doesn’t necessarily mean anything extraordinary has to happen.

6. Seek help if things become too much to handle.

It’s okay not to be okay. School can be overwhelming and stressful, but that’s not the end of the story. If you’re struggling with any crisis, you can reach out to a counselor at Crisis Text Line by texting “HOME” to 741741 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.  Additionally, student mental health services are incredibly encouraging of students to reach out so they can link you to the care that you deserve.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hey friends! I'm McKenna, a sophomore at Pitt majoring in psychology with a minor in gender studies! In my free time, I'm either listening to music, chilling outside, or doing something psych-related.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt