This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

For those of us who dislike or are unaccustomed to the cold, this time of year can be difficult, but the “January blues” are much more serious for those diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD is a form of depression that typically manifests itself during the autumn and winter months, and goes away during the spring and summer. Just as real as any other form of depression, the major symptoms of SAD include feeling depressed, eating too much, excessive sleepiness, low energy, social withdrawal and suicidal thoughts. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, one must “meet full criteria for major depression coinciding with specific seasons for at least two years” in order to be diagnosed with SAD. Additionally, women are four times more likely to suffer from SAD than men, and younger adults are affected more than older adults, putting college-aged women particularly at risk.

The good news is that SAD, while not easy to deal with, is treatable. Several antidepressants, including Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) and bupropion, have proven effective at treating SAD. In addition, both psychotherapy and light therapy can help ease symptoms. While psychotherapy typically consists of replacing negative thoughts with positive ones and engaging in activities one enjoys, light therapy involves sitting in front of a light box each morning that imitates the increased light present in summer. If taken in conjunction with one of the aforementioned treatments, Vitamin D supplements are also effective in some cases.

If you think that you or a friend or family member may have SAD, don’t hesitate to ask for help! Seek out a diagnosis from a licensed psychiatrist and experiment to find a treatment that works. Notify those close to you of what you’re dealing with so that they can have your back. Most of all, know that there is no shame in mental illness, nor in receiving therapy or taking medication. Your mental health should always be a top priority, and once you’re on the road toward healing, you’ll find that sunshine is just around the corner.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Sources: 1

Photos: 1

Hi, I'm Sierra! I'm a third-year senior at the University of Pittsburgh studying Poetry Writing and Children's Literature, as well as the Health and Fitness Editor of Her Campus Pitt. In my spare time I love to read, sing, explore the city, and use the Oxford comma.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt