This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

So you’ve made a New Year’s resolution to stay healthy and exercise daily, but you’re tired and bored of going to the gym. You can’t bring yourself to go to one of the many gyms on campus one more time, but you’re not ready to give up on your resolution yet. If this sounds anything like you, you should try hot yoga. Hot yoga is like most yoga classes, but with one exception: the temperature in the yoga studio is extremely hot and humid. Temperatures in a hot yoga class can be as high as one hundred and four degrees Fahrenheit. That may sound a little scary, but hot yoga has many benefits.

1. It will make you more flexible.

Taking a yoga class in general will help you increase your flexibility over time. However, the temperatures in hot yoga loosen up your muscles and joints more and will allow you to become more flexible in a shorter amount of time.

2. It’s a better workout than running on the treadmill.

The different positions in hot yoga will allow you to work out your entire body. The difficulty of the yoga poses along with the temperature will allow you to really sweat.

3. It’s great for relaxing.

Yoga in general is about controlling your breathing through the different yoga poses. In hot yoga, controlling your breath becomes even more difficult, which forces you to truly relax and breathe through it. If you don’t remain calm and relax during hot yoga, the workout becomes unbearable.

If you’re interested in trying out hot yoga, try out Amazing Yoga in Shadyside. They currently have a promotion for new students.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt