ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Staying Sane During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s that time of year again when we all frantically ask, “Where did the semester go?”  It feels like it was yesterday that we pushed our blue carts up the ramps to the Quad—yet here we are, quickly approaching finals week.  When I look at my calendar, I feel like I’m in the Hunger Games with no way to make it out alive. 

In the midst of finals we lose sight of the little things that keep us sane. So before bursting into tears in Hillman, have faith, stay calm, and follow these steps for a finals week with light at the end of the tunnel.

1) Get off your coffee addiction and drink some tea! Rather than chugging coffee or energy drinks to prolong your study session, switch to tea! For those who are weary to try it, there are so many different types to choose from: green, black, fruit infused, herbal, and so on!  Tea is a great way to get caffeine without resorting to unhealthy substances like the Red Eye (coffee with an espresso shot), energy drinks, or even worse, Adderall. According to an article by iVillage.com, tea contains beneficial antioxidants, and by drinking 2-3 cups per day tea can reduce risk of a heart attack and stroke.

So, when you’re looking for some caffeine to keep you alert during finals, think about the benefits of drinking tea: beyond those mentioned above, you’ll boost your immune system, protect yourself from various cancers, and stay hydrated while enjoying this flavorful energy booster!

2) Take a hot shower or bubble bath late at night.  You stayed up late studying and are ready for bed, but you cannot turn off your brain.  Personally, the worst part of finals week is trying to sleep because my mind is relentlessly stressing over the millions of things I have on my plate. To help relax your body, get in the shower, blast the hot water, and soak it in.  If you’re lucky enough to have a bathtub in college, grab some bubbles and take a hot bath!  Hot water relieves muscle tension and calms the body. Studies have shown that hot showers increase your oxytocin levels, a chemical in your brain that eases anxiety. A 10-minute hot shower is ideal for improving your body’s circulation, easing pain, tension, and stiffness, similar to a massage. So if you have great water pressure, even better! According to Livestrong.com, as short as 5 minutes in the shower is even enough time to help you relax. The hot water is a natural sedative that will calm your mind and body!

3) Dance around your room. There is nothing like a good ol’ dance party.  When you think you may have bombed that exam, when you’re about to break down and cry, or you want to dig a hole and hide in it—just DANCE! Crank the volume up and play your favorite songs.  What is done is done, and what is meant to be will be. You need to let go of what has passed, so dance away your stress and clear your mind.  Listening to upbeat music and moving around will make you feel happier, more cheerful, and will give you time to breathe and enjoy yourself.  There is more to life than finals week—and we forget that every time it comes around.  So give yourself time to be goofy and be present in the moment!

4) Grab lunch with a friend and socialize. It’s hard to have a social life during finals week.  We bury our faces in books, homework, essays, and the like for an entire week.  Everyone tries to maximize every second of the day only to study, but you need to eat, and you need to take a break! Make plans with your best friend to grab a meal—an hour break will not set you back, and it will give you time to digest all the information you’ve been cramming. Eat a normal meal—not just a bag of chips, energy bars, and chocolate—while spending an hour or so thinking of something other than your exams.

5) Paint your nails while watching your favorite show.  Some television shows are only 30 minutes long. Taking a half an hour break isn’t going to make you forget the material.  So stop what you’re doing, grab your favorite winter nail polish, and paint your nails while watching TV.  We all need our “me” time, especially during finals week.  Don’t feel guilty, and don’t blame that one wrong answer on your short break.  And hey, if nothing else you’ll appreciate your groomed nails while filling out a Scantron or answering essay questions.

Remember, keep calm, study hard, and remember to relax! Your life isn’t over because it’s finals week, so use these tips to help you stay sane.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sources: 123

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt