Wellness

3 Important Ways to Get Your Doctor to Listen to You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

I’ve spent quite a few days held up in doctors’ offices or patient waiting rooms getting tests done, x-rays or blood drawn. Dealing with chronic illness, or even some short-term illnesses, can often mean dedicating a decent chunk of time to your own health. And after what I feel are countless visits to various kinds of doctors, I’ve noticed that while some doctors are eager to listen, others can be dismissive. These three things help me make sure that when that happens, I’m prepared to push and get the healthcare I deserve.

Keep a List of Symptoms

If you start to notice some unusual symptoms, keeping track of them might help you if you decide to go to the doctor later on. Personally, I use the notes app on my phone to jot down some symptoms that have gotten worse, better or stayed the same.

Having a list ensures that when you do get to the doctor’s office, you’ll already have some things to discuss with them. That way they can help you quickly and you don’t have to worry about forgetting something important. It’s easy to forget symptoms if they’re not constant or if you’ve gotten used to them, so keeping an ongoing list will help you remember what you need to talk about with your doctor.

Don’t Be Afraid to Push a Little

At the end of the day, you know your body the best. Your doctor is an expert in medicine, but not an expert in you, and if you feel something is wrong, then it’s okay to push a little and insist on the care you deserve. If you’ve noticed persistent symptoms that just seem to get worse or feel as though you’re not being taken seriously, then it might be in your best interest to insist that they explore your issues further. Sometimes a doctor may dismiss your concerns, but if you feel like something is truly wrong, then pushing and asking them to explore is okay.

Speak Up

This one may seem obvious, but I find that it’s often easier said than done. In order for the previous two steps to work, you need to be willing to speak up about what’s bothering you. I have been guilty of staying silent many times, and in the end, it has only hurt me. Maintaining your health is an ongoing process that requires you to speak up when something isn’t right. It can seem scary, but your doctor is there to help you, and the consequences of not speaking up can be far worse than an awkward conversation.

It can be frustrating or even scary when you feel like your doctor isn’t listening to you, but the worst thing you can do is just let it slide. Unfortunately, there seems to be a pattern of health care professionals dismissing women’s health issues. This dismissiveness only hurts patients, and it’s important that you know how to demand good health care when it isn’t being given to you. You know your body best, and if you feel like something isn’t right – make a note, keep track of it and speak up next time you visit the doctor.

Sarah is a sophomore at Pitt majoring in English and political science with a minor in film. She is originally from Center Valley, Pennsylvania. In her free time, she enjoys playing with her pets, reading, and going hiking. Sarah is interested in pursuing a cottage core dream in the future.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt