samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

13 Study Tips to Help You Succeed This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

A new semester is an opportunity to create new habits. These habits may include going to the gym more, eating healthier, or taking control of your social life. The most common change college students want to make at the beginning of a new semester is studying better.

I asked my fellow HC Pitt collegiettes what study tips they recommend and this is what they said.

1. Take notes by hand.

Studies show that students who take lecture notes by hand remember the content better than those who use their computer. Although it’s slower (and sometimes messier), students “listen, digest, and summarize so that they can succinctly capture the essence of the information” (Cindi May, 2014).

2. Use colors to distinguish different information.

For example, write definition of words in green, questions you want to ask your professor in pink, and your own comments in blue. Don’t forget to make yourself a key!

3. Highlight your textbook.

Like number two, use different colors and symbols to represent what is the most important to remember. Use page flags to bookmark a term or concept that you need to go back to.

4. Make notecards.

This is especially helpful for language classes. Write the word or concept on the front of the card and the definition on the back; because notecards are more versatile than notebooks, these are great if you need to study on the go! If you are more of a techy person, use websites like StudyBlue or Cram to make online notecards. You can even share these with your classmates or study-buddies if you’re feeling nice.

5. If you type your notes, rewrite them by hand later.

Don’t feel like you have to rewrite the entire lecture — simply jot down the important points, people, concepts, and terms to remember. Like stated in number one, writing notes by hand helps with memorization.

6. Put your phone and distracting websites away.

Useful apps for phones: FocusNow – Bye delay, Forest and UNICEF Tap Project.

Useful apps for computers: Citrus, Cold Turkey, StayFocusd, LeechBlock, StrictWorkflow, Keep Me Out and SelfControl.

7. Download Momentum to stay focused while you study.

Momentum tells you the time and what the temperature is in your location, so you don’t need to check your phone. It also allows you to create a to-do list for the day. And, as you can see, it is all tied together with a nice, relaxing background. (This background changes daily, along with the inspirational quote at the bottom.) When I don’t want distractions, I simply press F11 on my PC to make the tab full screen and leave it alone.

8. Listen to music.

A long time ago, I wrote a HC Pitt article about my favorite study playlists on 8tracks. The HC Pitt 8tracks account has a study-playlist collection, which includes the playlists mentioned in the article. I have a much broader collection of study playlists on my personal 8tracks account. If you’re a fan of Spotify, their Focus mood/genre is excellent for concentration. I suggest you take breaks during the advertisements if you’re not paying for Spotify Premium. This is similar to the Pomodoro Technique, where you work for 25 minutes and then take a short break.

9. Use noise-blockers.

If you’re in public or just need an extra concentration boost, plug in headphones and use noise-blockers in addition to your preferred study music. Study like you’re in Hogwarts, Westeros, or Middle-earth or the TARDIS. Pretend you’re in a coffee shop. Imagine you’re out in nature.

10. Have a designated study spot.

This spot should be well-lit, relatively clutter-free and comfortable. Make sure you have all tools you need within reach. This spot, however, should not be your bed.

11. Treat studying like it’s your job.

It technically is your job when you’re in college. You’re here to learn. Try to start and finish your work by a specific time every day. Study between your classes. Make it a habit. Give yourself time to relax and unwind at the end of the day. Pulling all-nighters are not fun; watch your favorite TV show or movie or have a nice dinner instead of rushing to get everything done.

12. Use a planner.

HC Pitt can recommend the Day Designer, Lilly Pulitzer agendas, and MintGreen planner.

13. Relax.

Before you sit down to start studying, take a deep breath and relax your entire body. You’ll do better work if you take a moment to chill out before you get to work. If you have around ten minutes, use College Essay Guy’s Meditation Exercise. If you only have a minute or two, try PixelThoughts. Some other great websites to try are Calm, Fragrant Heart, Do Nothing for 2 Minutes and Breathe.

Good luck this semester! You’ll do great!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, screen shot of author’s Momentum page, 7, 8, 9

Fredrika is a 2015 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh. While at Pitt, she acted as writer, Assistant Senior Editor, and Chapter Advisor for Her Campus and the Her Campus Pittsburgh chapter. She originally hails from Stockholm, Sweden, but has lived in the Northern Virginia area for eighteen years. Follow Fredrika on her personal Twitter, @FredrikaUS!
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt