sustainable bars of shampoo and conditioner
Original photo by Claire Mullin
Style > Beauty

Unwrapped Life Plastic-Free Shampoo & Conditioner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I’m constantly on the lookout for ways I can make my lifestyle more sustainable, and it’s been a dream of mine to eventually live completely plastic-free. I know, I know, this is a lofty goal. Single-use plastic is nearly impossible to avoid, because almost everything is packaged in ‘disposable’ plastic. 

But recently I was scrolling through Instagram and saw one of my favorite influencers (@bekah) advertising for a brand called Unwrapped Life that makes plastic-free shampoo and conditioner bars. I was intrigued. Not only were the bars very cute (shallow? maybe), but she SWORE that they worked wonderfully and smelled amazing, too. I was sold. 

I purchased the set called The Healer, which was released in collaboration with @plasticbank as part of their effort to prevent plastic bottles and other harmful materials from ending up in our oceans. Together the set costs $32, which is a surprisingly reasonable price for such high quality hair products. Keep reading for my review!

Original photo by Claire Mullin

To use the shampoo and conditioner, you simply rub the bar against your scalp and then massage the product from your roots to the ends of your hair. I thought this would be difficult to maneuver, especially considering the fact that I have very long, relatively thick hair, but I had no problem spreading the product out evenly.

When I tell you I’m beyond impressed by how high quality these products are and how effectively they washed and conditioned my hair, I’m not exaggerating. My hair feels smooth and strong and it smells like orange blossoms, even after just one wash — no complaints here! The Healer shampoo and conditioner set gets a 10/10 from me.  

If you have specific hair needs, such as moisturizing or repairing, Unwrapped Life also has other hair products that can cater to these needs. All of their sets range from $25 to $32 for a set of shampoo and conditioner bars. I would absolutely recommend this brand to everyone, and especially to those looking to reduce their carbon footprint and consumption of single-use plastic. 

Living sustainably often requires us to sacrifice our comfort or luxuries in order to protect our planet, but these shampoo and conditioner bars have given me the best of both worlds. Thanks to my gullibility when it comes to “trusted authorities” (A.K.A Instagram influencers), I have found a new product I love. As my search for sustainable alternatives continues, I can rest assured that my hair will look, feel, and smell great (you know, the important things).

Claire Mullin

Pepperdine '22

I am a third-year Psychology student on a Pre-Law track at Pepperdine. After getting my undergraduate degree, I hope to study Civil Rights law. I love writing and talking to people about the things that are important to them - whether that be politics, sustainability, clothing, music, etc.
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!