This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

It’s time to stop getting in your own way. 

I know that can be hard. You’ve probably got a voice inside you that is mortified that you are putting yourself out there like this, placing the contents of your heart and mind out into the world for all to see. I know how paralyzing self-doubt can be, how it can trap you and pin you down and make you feel like the story or art in your head isn’t ever going to be enough. But here’s the thing: that self-doubt doesn’t know what it’s talking about. Honestly! It can’t know, because the thing you want to make but haven’t yet? It doesn’t even exist, in any form but inside your mind, until you make it yourself. And sure, the idea is perfect and polished and pure. You can envision whatever it is you’re dreaming of, the framed print of it or glossy cover that would come with it. You can imagine an interview about it or an article written to praise it. But if that perfect dream comes at the cost of your creativity, your reality, then you have traded nothingness for nothingness, and have only gained the fleeting contentment that comes with thinking sweet empty thoughts.

Photo By Nick Morris

Self-doubt can be a sneaky manipulator because it isn’t just telling you you aren’t good enough. Often, it can manifest in the form of a daydream, an ideal version of your next creative process, in which nothing goes wrong, and you’re never tired, and the result is epic and worth it. But, be it a YA novel or a knitted scarf, making something new takes work–messy work that you may not even know how to do yet. The actual hands-on process of creation will probably look nothing like the rose-colored one that self-doubt is feeding you, but if you don’t press forward, you may never get to hold your words in your hands or see your design published. And don’t you deserve to at least try?

Photo By Toa Heftiba

Dreams are nice, but they are only dreams. The real world is the one that matters. And there’s only one way to find out what you can do: try and try again. The world needs to know what it is you’ve been dying to say. So say it, make it, do it. Take it as seriously as you take your health, your schoolwork, your relationships. And eventually, it will become just as big a part of your world as all of the other things you do.

From,

Another Girl Who Believes In You

Madeline Duvall

Pepperdine '21

Hey all! My name is Madeline Duvall, and I'm an English major and Art minor from Pepperdine University! I'm originally from Longview, Texas. I love to write, draw for my school's newspaper, listen to movie soundtracks and pretend I’m the main character, read, and watch animated movies! My art instagram is @latefordoodles and my real instagram is @lateforcakes.
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.