XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImagepng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus / Megan Charles
Style > Beauty

How to Transition to Winter, Without the “Winter Skin”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In what is probably one of my favorite beauty YouTube videos of all time, Alexa Chung perfectly encapsulates every person’s struggle with cold weather:

“I just look…horrible. I have the kind of skin that looks decent in the summer, but then it goes a bit sallow in winter… So, it’s about that, but it’s also… You know when you get red around here (gestures towards her nose)… and some discoloration… it’s just a classic case of winter face.”

While I don’t have such a self-deprecating view of my skin in colder weather, I do notice changes that I really do not vibe with. A flakey red nose, dry cracked hands with cuticles to match… for my winter inspo look I like the idea of a beautiful frosted snowflake, not a piece of jerky drying in a Salthouse circa 1864, you know?

The question is, how does one keep their Glossier-esque glow in the bleak midwinter? Or at the very least, when the weather really starts to make that transition to cold. Here’s what I have found to keep your skin nourished and glowing during frigid temperatures. 

Step One: The Cleanse

Obviously, cleansing is an important step during all seasons, but I personally find cleansing in winter a bit tricky, because there’s a fine line between your skin of its natural oils while prepping for your routine. In the morning, either washing your face with a gentle cleanser or just water is great as well— you don’t want to wash off all the repair your skin did the night before! I’ve been using Glossier’s Milky Jelly Cleanser in the morning and as the first step of my double-cleanse, and the KraveBeauty Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser as my second step— I love this cleanser as well because of its barrier-repairing properties. In the shower, I’ve been using Johnson’s Skin Nourish Baby Wash with Vanilla and Oat Extract— if it’s good enough for babies, it’s good enough for me. It’s easy for me to forget about my body’s skincare routine as well, which is absurd considering my face and neck is a fraction of my skin. 

Step Two: Exfoliation.

I find that sometimes no matter how many moisturizing serums and lotions I slather on, if I have crusty skin happening… that hyaluronic acid isn’t going to do much. For a lot of this year, I was super into exfoliating— a little too much into exfoliating, and I paid the price. Right now, I’m sticking to Paula’s Choice Antioxidant Pore Purifier with Salicylic Acid and White Tea. Living in NYC, pollution is a huge issue for my skin, so this product gets out the gunk and keeps me feeling smooth, but not raw. For my body, I’ve been using Dove Exfoliating Body Polish Body Scrub in the pomegranate scent, which is amazing. I sometimes get bumps on the top of my arms along with a really dry décolletage, and a matching set of dry elbows and knees. This scrub has been hugely helpful in keeping everything smooth.

Step Three: Moisture

Moisture, Moisture. This can sometimes be the most difficult step, for me at least. How do you dampen a tundra? I’m a hyaluronic acid fiend— I will talk about it for hours unprovoked. I find that the ~true power~ of a hyaluronic acid serum isn’t fully unleashed without a good facial spray. I’ve been using The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid + B5 serum with the Bioderma Hydrabio Mist (a water mist that “hydrates, refreshes, and tones sensitive skin”). For those that may want a little more moisture in their spray, Heritage Store’s Rosewater and Glycerin spray is one of my favorites. For my facial moisturizer, I switched from CeraVe’s Daily Lotion to Vanicream— it’s a little thicker and has more emollient properties, which I find helpful when those blistering cold winds come in. After I shower, I use Johnson’s Shea Butter Baby Oil while I’m still damp, and then go in with either Eucerin or Johnson’s Baby Lotion (like I said, if it’s good enough for a baby it’s good enough for you!!). I like to put special focus on my hands as well— I use the lotion previously mentioned and Olive and June’s Cuticle Serum— it’s a beautiful formula that doesn’t leave you waiting for the product to soak in like you would with cuticle oil.

Step Four: SPF!

If I was Miss America, my platform would be SPF usage. If I could get a megaphone big enough for everyone in Manhattan to hear me, I would tell them to put on some damn sun protection. I’ve been using La Roche Posay Anthelios AOX Antioxidant Serum with SPF50 for about a year now, and it’s a great multitasking product— sun protection obviously, but the addition of antioxidants like vitamins Cg and E help give your skin a healthy glow and protect the skin barrier from pollutants.

Winter brings us a lot of unwanted gifts— seasonal depression, the sun going down at 5pm, and dry skin! Use this transition period to take care of yourself. Listen to your body and be gentle with your mind and skin. Now, get to moisturizing and drink some dang water!

Also if you want more skin and self care tips be sure to follow my beauty blog, Janie’s Beauty Rants

Hi! I'm Janie-- I'm currently a freshman at Pace Universtiy, and a self-described self-care enthusiast! I don't know whether or not I like skincare or writing more... still deciding on that one.