Clipart of woman wearing teal with blue background
Rebecca Courteau
Wellness

How I am Reinventing Myself in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

2022 is finally here! I think we can all agree that the past two years have been quite awful, traumatic, and mentally exhausting. However, I have very high hopes for 2022, and I am going to use this year as the start of my self love and pure happiness journey. While surviving the day is sometimes a struggle for me, I have started a new routine that has honestly been helping me a ton mentally. Some of these may be a no-brainer, but doing them daily can be really hard to accomplish. No matter what your journey is this year know that you have someone on your side and you deserve to be happy at all times!

Starting the day right

Starting your day on a positive note can change your whole outlook. While some mornings it can feel like you got hit by a truck, having a set morning routine can help get you moving.

• Taking vitamins

Ah yes, vitamins are so small yet have such a big impact. For a while, I thought vitamins were a waste of money, mostly because I would forget about them. However, recently I have been taking Love Wellness’s #MoodPills, and they have helped a ton! These vitamins support your overall mood, ease stress and frustration, general PMS support, and feature Vitamin B6! It did take about a few days for me to notice a difference, but I have seen an improvement in my mood and fewer mood swings.

• Actually doing my morning skincare 

I have never been a person to do a full morning skincare routine until recently. Taking a few minutes to prep your skin for the day will allow you some time to relax, focus on yourself, and get mentally ready for the day! Happy skin = a happy life.

• Remembering to eat breakfast

As someone who hates breakfast food, you still have to make your body happy. Whether you enjoy your PopTarts or waffles, just remember how crucial it is to make sure your body has proper energy.

• Drinking water

No one likes a dehydrated person. I find getting my daily water in easier by using a Starbucks reusable cup! Bottles are fine, but they are awful for the environment, and those gigantic time jugs freak me out. No matter how you get your water, just be sure to drink it.

Mid-day slump

Does anyone actually like the afternoon? This is where I start to struggle, especially during school breaks. During the semester I am in classes mostly all afternoon, but I’ve found some tricks to help pass time.

• Listening to good podcasts

Podcasts have gained so much popularity recently, and there is a perfect fit for everyone. Recently, I have been enjoying Sidemen’s SideCast, the What’s Good Podcast, and occasionally the H3 Podcasts. I normally stick to podcasts that focus on Youtube, internet drama, and pop culture. Having a podcast on can help past the time, and let you listen to some funny and interesting topics. I should probably find one about wellness and female empowerment to be honest.

• Skincare reset! 

I love to touch up and spray a mist on my makeup as I make my way through my classes. If you don’t wear makeup try a skincare mist to rehydrate your skin.

• Starbucks pick me up

You deserve this. Go get yourself your favorite drink from Starbucks!

• Actually attending classes 

I typically don’t miss classes, but Zoom is so easy to be present but in a different zone. I have started holding myself accountable to keep my camera on, message new classmates, and participate even though it can be a struggle.

Evening cool down

You made it through the day!! Honestly the evening has become my favorite part of my day. My evening routine is set and it has improved it so much. I used to struggle with horrible insomnia and night terrors so having a calming routine has helped a ton.

• Working out

I know someone is booing me right now. I used to hate the gym, despised working out, and felt super body-conscious. Recently I have found my workout savior. The Fitness Marshall, aka Caleb Marshall, is a YouTube channel that posts a wide range of dance-style workouts that can be done from anywhere. I stumbled upon Marshall on Tik Tok and instantly fell in love with his energy, representation, and style. The channel also features Hailey Jordan and Allison Florea who are his backup dancers, also known as backup booties. Honestly, I will probably write a whole article about them because I am obsessed with how this channel makes me feel and how it has improved my life.

• Having a well-balanced dinner

While it is tempting to eat out every night, I have tried my best to try different foods from the Pace Cafe. While my options are limited I try to find a well-balanced meal that will make me full and is kinda healthy. If you’re feeling adventurous try to eat by yourself for once, I know this is a challenge for some people. I typically unwind by watching YouTube or Tik Toks while I eat.

• Reset nights 

Reset nights are a night where I can clean and recharge. This includes skincare, body care, and cleaning my room. I typically will apply my self-tanner and take my time doing my body care all to relax.

• Body care and skin care

Body care is severely underrated. This includes using a body scrub, body butter, Truly products, and whatever else you want to add! Taking a few extra minutes to show my body some love really helps my confidence. Also be sure to do your nightly skin care routine. Hot girls don’t sleep in their make up!

• Going to bed early-ish

Okay I probably go to bed way too early for a college student, but I love my sleep! Feeling rested and not being attached to my phone at night really helps me be ready for the next day. Try to not be on your phone after 10:30 – 11:00 PM, especially if its work-related. You deserve to be disconnected. If you have trouble sleeping like I do use this miracle worker: the Dr Teal’s Sleep Spray. I am so glad I found this before it went viral, also who made this go viral? It truly helps me destress and get a full night of sleep!

This was basically a guide on how I am trying to make my days a bit better. Of course, I do other small tasks, but having these pillars has kept me structured and organized. Some of these may seem like basic tasks, but doing them every day is a challenge. No matter what your 2022 holds, know you are strong and still living through a global pandemic! Whether you’re aiming to be a material or “that” girl (or whatever you identify as) you got this!

Hi everyone! I'm Alysa and I am the former Campus Correspondent for HC Pace NYC. I majored in Communication Studies and minored in Sociology & Anthropology and Arts & Entertainment Management. Within my articles you can find everything I love to write including, pop culture, sports, politics, and my personal NYC experiences! Feel free to connect with me on my socials!