6 Healthy Finds Your Wallet (and you) Will Love!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Remember that New Years Resolution you sent for yourself to start eating healthier meals and going to the gym a few times a week? Yeah, me neither. Well since it is almost the end of February, that doesn’t mean you should get discouraged. Now is the perfect time to reexamine your eating habits and to make sure you are nourishing your body with wholesome and nutritious cuisine. As a college student, choosing the healthier meal can be tough from the limited options in the cafeteria and the money spent on your Metro card and other expenses. But not to fear, here are five amazing healthy alternatives to eat in Manhattan if you have decided to start eating food that ultimately you can feel good about!

1. By Chloe

Menu | Instagram

Vegan and gluten free lover unite! Located on 185 Bleecker Street in the West Village, ByChloe is small yet has a delightful atmosphere. Chef Chloe is prided on bringing delicious vegan food options at affordable prices. Make sure to get there early- there is always a line out the door, and you will understand why once you try the food! From vegan mac and cheese to vegan burgers, the whole menu will make your mouth water. Pictured above is the Quinoa Taco salad as well as a Iced Matcha Tea. 

2. Two Hands

Instagram

Another small spot is located on 164 Mott Street in Chinatown. Only a fifteen-minute walk from Pace, Two Hands is an Australian café in Chinatown! Once again offering- but not entirely, vegan and gluten free options from banana walnut bread to avocado toast. This local spot is perfect for a cup of coffee or Saturday brunch with your best friends. You can also order your food and pick it up to go! Pictured below is an Acai bowl with blueberries, gluten free granola, chia seeds, raspberries and blueberries, coconut shavings, and coca nibs! 

3. HU Kitchen

Menu

Where can you go when you don’t have time to sit down and eat, and are looking for a one-stop market that has amazing prepared foods such as organic chicken salad and fresh paleo vegetarian chili?  Located at 78th Fifth Avenue by Union Square, HU Kitchen has a wide variety of options serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, smoothies, and healthy desserts! The entire menu is gluten free, and Hu Kitchen prides itself is “getting back to human” and bringing the all natural choices to their customers. Stop on by and get some healthy meals to last you throughout the week!    

4. El Rey

Menu | Instagram

El Rey is a coffee bar and lunch spot on 100 Stanton Street, and they have some very unique dishes. For example, “Charried Radicchio” which contains ricotta hazelnut and mint along with the “Lost Bread Egg Frittata”. Can you say holy yum!? The whole menu is to-die-for, so try everything! Be adventurous, and make sure to have an appetite. I assure you, you will not be disappointed! 

5. The Little Beet

Menu

Feeling a little adventurous after class? Take a trip uptown to 135 West 50th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. The Little Beet has an array of proteins to add to your salad bowls. A personal preference, I order the tofu shroom roll. Marinated in shiitake mushrooms and brown rice in addition to the carrot ginger soup- which is also vegan! The Little Beet will have your stomach full of goodness!

6. The Grey Dog

Menu

With four locations in NYC, the closest to Pace is at 244 Mulberry Street in the Nolita district. A personal favorite, The Grey Dog is in the heart of Little Italy. Their salads are to-die-for. The various sandwiches, including hummus and avocado, roasted turkey and brie, as well as their sautéed broccoli will have you wishing you could fit more in your stomach! And how endearing is the ambience of the restaurant?

Hey everyone! My name is Ariana Gavriilidis. I am from a small town in New Jersey and I now reside in New York City! I am earning a Bachelor of Arts from Pace University in Communications with a Concentration in Media, Communications, and Visual Arts. I also have a minor in Arts and Entertainment Management. In my spare time I enjoy photography, working out, and seeing as many movies as possible! I am excited to be apart of Her Campus as writing has always been my passion. Make sure to check out my articles as well as my radio show, Winging it with Ariana, where I have new episodes every Tuesday! https://www.mixcloud.com/WIWARIANA/
Her Campus Pace Contributor