jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Advice for Incoming Students Dealing with Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace Pleasantville chapter.

Coming to a new environment while you’re struggling with mental illness can feel unmanageable and extremely overwhelming. With the pressure of doing well in school and juggling your social life, it just seems like your world is being flipped upside down and you might not know how to deal with that just yet. I know during my freshman year I was dealing with mental health issues and may not have coped in the healthiest ways. It’s a struggle to try and cope using healthy coping mechanisms when you’re introduced to ways that seem easier and numb you from the harsh reality you don’t want to face just yet or even ever. Despite all of that, I managed to overcome all that pain and confusion that I’m sure a lot of you are probably going through right now as you’re getting ready to start a new chapter of your life. Here are some things I learned during my first year when it came to dealing with your mental health.

It’s Okay to Admit You’re Not Okay 

I know sometimes it’s hard to admit that something isn’t right with you because it just makes it a reality or you’re scared that people will reject you and dismiss your problems and brush it off as something trivial. You don’t have to be ashamed to admit that things aren’t going so well right now. The worst thing you can do is be in denial and slowly let everything take over until it’s too late. Being open and honest about how you’re feeling is the first step to recovering. If you live in denial, it’ll just take even longer to care for your mental health. It won’t be easy but it’s a step towards the right direction.

Don’t Turn to Unhealthy Coping Mechanisms

When you’re dealing with mental illness, you can tend to gravitate towards unhealthy ways of coping with it whether you’re aware of it or not.

You’ll find yourself turning to things such as drinking, drugs, isolation, and even sex (yes, sex is used as a coping mechanism!). Why do we turn to these things? Because they temporarily make you forget about reality and everyday life. The thing is, that those unhealthy coping mechanisms only “help” you temporarily. Constantly turning to those coping mechanisms will only hurt you in the long run. The longer you try to numb the pain, the more painful it will be when it’s time to confront it. 

Cut out the Toxic Companionships

Sometimes we so badly want friends or a relationship, that we end up keeping those who don’t have our best interests at heart around just because we fear to be alone with no one by our side. Continuing to surround yourself with people who are either incredibly negative or allow you to indulge in unhealthy behaviors when they know it’s damaging to you, will only slow down the process of you getting better. The good news is that you don’t have to succumb to toxic relationships! Find people who are genuine and make you feel good about not only yourself but your connection with them. Having a healthy relationship- whether it be platonically or romantically- can play a big part in your journey to healing. 

Your Friends Are Your Rock

If you’re lucky enough to make amazing friends who are supportive and caring during your first year, then you should always be able to turn to them during those days where things just feel like crap. I found that being open and vulnerable with my friends about what’s going on in my life was extremely helpful. Even when I didn’t feel like talking about the problems I was facing, they were still there to support me and let me know that I could come to them whenever I’m ready. They helped me stay on track when I would feel like giving up and they even pushed me to seek help when everything just felt too much to handle on my own.

The Counseling Center Is Your Friend

Even though having your friends around to help you is an amazing thing that can help, it’s even better to talk to professionals whose job is to help you deal with your mental health. I know some people don’t have faith in the counseling center, but it doesn’t hurt to try. Communication is key and so is being completely honest with them. Having a professional help you rationalize things when all you can focus on is negative is a blessing to have. Seeing someone isn’t anything to be ashamed of. It’s the bravest thing you can do. 

In the end, we all have our own struggles that affect us greatly. The most important thing is that we find it within ourselves to get up and seek help even if it feels too draining to do so. It’s not easy, but it’s a process.

Sheena Williams

Pace Pleasantville '22

Sheena Williams is a sophomore at Pace University, majoring in digital cinema and filmmaking along with a minor in digital media studies. She spends her time working on creative projects and hopes to play an active role in the media.