nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

The Benefits of Physical Exercise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oxford Emory chapter.

Have you ever felt lighter after a good sweat? Does working out greatly enhance your mood? Physical activities are good ways to release stress, especially for those who experience depression-like symptoms. You probably met many individuals who said that exercise refreshes their bodies and cleanses their minds. While the benefits of exercise seem obvious enough, we often forget the science behind why moving our bodies make us feel so much better.

The relationship between exercise and its ability to relieve depression symptoms can be explained by various reasons. One explanation could be the energy increase that physical activity produces. A main symptom of depression is the lack of energy, but being present in the gym will undoubtedly increase heart rate and blood flow throughout the body. This would produce a lot of energy, especially when people are exercising for a steady period of time. In addition, working out can improve someone’s psychomotor retardation. Because depression can cause slower movement than normal, working out will force someone to move their body more, whether it is through strength training or cardiovascular activity. Exercise can also help with sleep because it makes people feel more tired at the end of the day, promoting a good night’s rest. Meanwhile, the building of patterned exercise helps develop a healthy habit. It only takes about 21 days, or three weeks, for an action to turn into a habit, so exercising can turn into a routine that constantly aids in the suppression of depression symptoms. 

The release of endorphins that accompanies exercise also contributes to energy production, as well as induce sensations of euphoria. Because exercising forces people to have energy, endorphins are released following exercise at the gym. It is usually this great amount of energy that stimulates generation of these neurotransmitters. Although endorphins cause short-lived feelings of pleasure, they would contribute to the long-term effects of exercise as routine actions cause a constant release of endorphins. Therefore, the short-term effects of endorphins would be extended for a long period of time, allowing people to have a more positive and happy outlook on life.

Next time you feel like life is knocking you down, just hit the gym, stroll the park, or practice mat Pilates. Once your heart starts pumping and your endorphins start flowing, you’re sure to come out feeling relaxed and free.