Wellness > Mental Health

The Power of Positivity: How to Cultivate a Positive Mindset in a Negative World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The way people treat you is a reflection of themselves. We’ve all heard that saying before and it’s true. A person can only bring to the plate what they have. If a person is a negative and bad energy person, they’re only going to bring bad energy and you’ll be able to notice this if you feel down or not happy after you hangout with them or talk to them. Don’t take into mind rude people or if someone says something hurtful to you because that’s a reflection of themselves and as long as you know who you are and your values a rude person shouldn’t matter to you. When you’re secure in yourself and life not much can bother you. 

Inorder to cultivate a positive mindset in a negative world you have to choose good people to surround yourself with. I struggle with this apparently and I think it may be my lack of boundaries with people and not speaking up. Therefore, make sure you set healthy boundaries with the people in your life so you can protect your energy and show some love to yourself so no one can ruin your mood and drain you. An example of this could look like a friend who loves to gossip, but that isn’t your thing to bringing down others, so you could tell that friend you’d rather not talk about gossip because that’s low vibe energy. Also speak up if someone is overstepping your boundaries so that person can respect your boundaries and know or maybe their true colors will show once you set boundaries and you might need to cut them off. Once you surround yourself with people you can be 100% yourself around and that makes you happy after you talk or hangout with them, then you’re set up for a happier life. 

Another way to cultivate a positive mindset is by practicing gratitude. I didn’t realize how much that can impact you until my boss shared that everyday she practices gratitude and looks at the brighter side of things! The way she thinks inspires me because she’s always a nice person to everyone throughout everything. My advice is to either journal down things you’re grateful for and it doesn’t have to be everyday, you can take baby steps and start off by adding this into your routine weekly or maybe say them outloud every morning before you start your day to put you in a positive mindset. 

Doing things that make you happy helps you be more positive. We often get too busy with school, work, and life that we forget to nourish ourselves and do things that make us happy. Adding things to your routine like a hobby that makes you happy will make you be in a more positive mindset. Keeping up with practicing gratitude, doing things you love, and surrounding yourself with positivity is a great way to start to have a positive mindset! Don’t feed into negative energy or negative people any of your time. Protect your peace. Of course there’s way more ways that you can enforce positivity in your life but I think these three are a great foundation to start with.

I'm Tiffany, a Marketing student at SUNY Oswego and one of our Her Campus at Oswego Campus Correspondent!