Sunset Ocean Beach Sky Evening
Sunset Ocean Beach Sky Evening
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As a full-time college student, I will be the first to tell you that there just aren’t enough hours in the day. With barely enough time to do all of things I actually need to do, I’m definitely not going to pencil into my calendar my daily “meditation time” and weekly “face mask.” 

Self-care has been watered down to superficial acts of giving yourself a manicure and doing some yoga. Now granted these actions are rewarding and satisfying, we’re not spending time focusing on the larger problem at hand. We are caught up in our hectic schedules, not factoring in time for our mental and physical health until it’s too late. Before chaos ensues, we need to already be engaging in activities that encourage a positive outlook on our lives. 

Make an effort to incorporate small changes that make big differences. The most influential thing I have done this year for myself is implementing better time management. This includes the basics, from allotting time for schoolwork and social life activities, to getting a good night’s rest so I can start my day bright and early. Considering my already packed schedule, another activity that was taking up too much of my time was entertaining relationships that were honestly mentally exhausting. 

Believe it or not, engaging in conversation with certain people was more tiring for me than most physical activities! I always assumed that this was the way interacting worked. I was always the one giving advice, giving up my time, and investing more than the other person. I realized that it wasn’t fair, and most importantly, it was costing me my sanity. I would be stressed out after interacting with these people, which is one of the first tell-tale signs that you’re in a toxic relationship/ friendship. But that’s a whole other story.

I began slowly cutting out the people in my life that weren’t encouraging my growth as a person. Almost immediately I began to feel better about myself. I had to learn that it was okay to let go and that I wasn’t losing anything, but I was in fact gaining. If you feel as though someone or something is holding you back, you’re entitled to do what is best for you, even if that means moving on. This was the most significant act of self-care I could have ever done. Sometimes in life in order to reap the rewards, we have to do difficult things. As drastic as it may have all seemed, it was worth it. I feel refreshed and energized to take on new responsibilities and spend my time doing things that bring me happiness. 

psychology major
Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.